New well tank install, psi question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl Miller

Reaction score
Hello, my old well tank bit the dust and I replaced it with a Well-Rite tank and all new fittings. I have it all hooked up but water pressure shuts off at 50 psi, it is a 40/60 switch and tank was charged to 38psi. Is this normal?

Also, is it normal for the tank to have a rattle sound when shifting it around? Sounds like clanging metal inside but only when lifting.

Attachments

• 20230505_094602.jpg
    20230505_094602.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230505_094609.jpg
    20230505_094609.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well, you could turn the large adjustment screw in the pressure switch about 3 full turns to the right, which will turn that 30/50 switch into a 40/60. With 38 PSI air in the tank, no water gets in until the pressure is higher than 38 PSI. So, the tank will fill light. But it should not have anything rattling around inside the tank. Lol!

The best way to keep something from happening again is to figure out what caused the old tank to "bite the dust". You don't need a check valve at the tank and removing it would give you the perfect place to put the cure for what caused the last tank to go bad.

Well, you could turn the large adjustment screw in the pressure switch about 3 full turns to the right, which will turn that 30/50 switch into a 40/60. With 38 PSI air in the tank, no water gets in until the pressure is higher than 38 PSI. So, the tank will fill light. But it should not have anything rattling around inside the tank. Lol!

The best way to keep something from happening again is to figure out what caused the old tank to "bite the dust". You don't need a check valve at the tank and removing it would give you the perfect place to put the cure for what caused the last tank to go bad.

Thanks for the info, good to know. I am stumped at the clanging sound, I habe no idea what is could be but makes no sound while tank is in operation or juat sitting there.

Back