New Utility Sink Drainage - Connecting to 2" PVC

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egebhardt

Reaction score
Guys/Gals,
I've got a new utililty sink I'm putting in the garage. It needs to drain, obviously. The nearest 2" PVC is through the wall in the basement which makes this generally easy. The problem is getting 2" Sanitary T inserted along the existing 2" PVC drain line.

I would like to use the black plastic coupler but it's not going to fit over the T ends. That forces me to glue (2) short 2" PVC pipes into the ends of the T and make the splice much longer and with more pieces.
Is there a better way? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • coupler.jpg
    coupler.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0
  • T.jpg
    T.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2 inch pvc.jpg
    2 inch pvc.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Can you glue the bottom joint then lift the piping to glue the top joint???????,,if you need to used that type of coupling use a stainless steel 4 band coupling, one brand is husky
Thanks for that.
I may have some wiggle-room to lift and slip it. I just fear getting it angled right upon gluing. It's pretty permanent after that.
I see the steel coupling sleeves. They cost 8x more. Probably because they are stronger. This 2" pvc line comes from the washing machine. That's it. I wouldn't think it's under that much pressure.

I'm confused by your picture. Is it showing the wall of your garage? It is made out of trusses which I've not seen before in a wall. And that would make the wiring chase running along the floor of the basement, which would also be rather strange to me. Or do I have perspective all wrong?

I'm confused by your picture. Is it showing the wall of your garage? It is made out of trusses which I've not seen before in a wall. And that would make the wiring chase running along the floor of the basement, which would also be rather strange to me. Or do I have perspective all wrong?
No. Sorry. I'm looking vertical at the floor joists. The 2" pvc is running horizontal to the ground.

Update:
I got the sweeping T in place without couplers. Again. This is looking up at the ceiling when I'm in the basement. I just needed to remove all the pvc hangers up and down stream. Then I had the 1" of lateral motion I needed to squeeze the T in. Then I mocked-up the garage sink. I've always hated low sinks. That ends now!!!

Attachments

• garage sewer.jpg
    garage sewer.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • garage sink.jpg
    garage sink.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Houston, aka egebhardt, we have a problem. You are calling the fitting you install a "sweeping T". However, that appears to be a Sanitary Tee. That is not the correct fitting for this installation, it is not to code and could cause you problems. A Sanitary Tee cannot be laid on its side ever and can only be laid on its back or up to a 45-degree angle from vertical for venting purposes, but not for fluid flow.

This is a Sanitary Tee:

1662246006112.png

This is a Combination Wye & 1/8 Bend which is the fitting that you should be using.

1662246295730.png

In order to keep your side inlet at the current location, you will need to use a coupling and a short piece of pipe to install the Combo Wye.

Thanks. You're right. It says 'sanitary T'. My mistake.
I also purchased the Combo Wye just in case. The A and B dimensions of the Combo Wye are both longer. That means I have 2" PVC pipe sufficient to cut the sanitary T off and put in the Combo Wye.

Why use couplings when I can just use the Combo Wye?

Last edited:
The B dimension is only 3/4" longer on the Combo Wye, so if you cut the Sanitee out totally, there will not enough pipe to insert into both ends of the Combo. You could cut the pipe off even with one end of the Sanitee, and then cut the hub off the other end of the Sanitee leaving the pipe intact inside the hib. Then, use a vibrating tool, saw, file, emery cloth, etc., to CAREFULLY peel off the Sanitee hub. But that is a lot of work and would also change the location of your side inlet slightly. So, the easiest thing would be to cut the pipe wherever needed to meet the side inlet end location, and then cut the pipe a small distance in the other direction so that you can get the proper insertion of a piece of pipe into the Combo and the coupling as well.

Latest posts

Back