New user from Denver, CO -- Polybutylene pipes to PEX info...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystery

Reaction score
:(
Hi all,
I just bought a house and it has Polybutylene plumbing inside.
It's a 1993 built house with 1719 sq. ft. finished (1st and 2nd floor) and 652 sq. ft. unfinished basement with crawl space.
It has copper pipe from master meter to the house.
There is a half bathroom, washer/dryer and kitchen on main level and two full baths (one with tub) on 2nd floor.
The existing pipes are working fine without any leaks but thinking to replace if it's not too expensive.
I got a quote of $3.6k for Wirsbo AquaPEX pipes with inspection but without drywall repair.
I don't understand why it's so expensive.
The pipe is less than $200 for a 400 ft. roll that's way more than what's needed and may be another $300 for accessories like valves, T-joints, crimps, washers etc... (correct me if I'm wrong).
I understand there is additional cost for equipment, license, insurance etc... plus labor, but still. Dang!

Basement is unfinished and I can see all the pipes right there going to garden hose, kitchen and 1/2 bath on main level.
I think I can replace pipes in the basement myself for the kitchen and main level bath as there is no need to tear down the dry wall for that.
That leaves connection to washer/dryer on the main level and two bathrooms on 2nd floor.
That's a lot of dinero for routing a plastic pipe to 2nd floor to 3 sinks, 2 toilets, 2 showers and a tub.

I want replace the pipes but the price is so high that I won't have much left for new carpet, interior/exterior paint and few other fixes.
Thanks for any suggestion.

To do a total re-pipe there is more work in replacing the lines in the walls then in the basement. Also keep in mind that they will also have to replace the valves under each fixture along with the supply tubes in most cases. You may be able to cut you cost if you remove the drywall were needed. I don't like to give advice on pricing because it varies depending on location. But $3600.00 is in the ballpark. Get quotes from at least two other plumbers.

Thanks johnjh2o.
I'll get another quote.

Looks like the pipes go through wall straight up so there will be no floor to rip apart.

As John said, get 3 written quotes from licensed plumbers, and make sure all work promised is specified. As said before, if it is not written down, it didn't happen.

Another plumber's quote is $8000 including drywall repair.
Not sure how much of that is plumbing alone including PRV and main shut off lever.
Looks like either way, it's expensive. :(

Only thing I would recommend is match apples for apples if you understand what I am saying. Make sure down to the product it's all the same.

Thanks for comments.
The guy with lower quote is doing the work but looks like he does have helpers doing most of the work.
So I guess I'm okay even though I consider helper as a handyman.

He will be using 3/4" lines and then 1/2" to fixtures, copper pipe in/around HWH with frost free pipes to the garden hoses.
For the joints he will be using heat/friction based coupling instead of copper crimps. He said they are better.

He'll try as much as possible to cut a square piece of drywall so he can put/screw it back on the wall.
Once that's done, I'm not sure if I can put some drywall putty and paint over it or need additional drywall work.
What do you think?

Back