New Toilet install, downpipe/vent/sump pump question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadly

Reaction score
I am moving a toilet. The current configuration has a toilet with a downpipe that leads to a sump pump, which then evacuates to septic system. The existing toilet downpipe runs through the foundation. The vent, coming out of the sump pump chamber is, and is the same diameter as the toilet downpipe.

My question is, can I run the new downpipe from the toilet into the vent, rather than run it into the existing downpipe in the foundation (concrete would need to be removed)?

Is this code (Pennsylvania), and would it work? It is my understanding that the vent just leads to the chamber that the pump sits in, just like the downpipe. Am I right about this?

The issue isn't so much where I am moving the toilet. I want to tie in my new bathroom drain, and a washing machine into the sewage extractor, but I want to add an additional inlet in the cap rather than bust up the concrete to get at the existing inlet. This is what I am trying to do.

If I can't do this, what is the reason?

Extractor Schematic.jpg

I am moving a toilet. The current configuration has a toilet with a downpipe that leads to a sump pump, which then evacuates to septic system. The existing toilet downpipe runs through the foundation. The vent, coming out of the sump pump chamber is, and is the same diameter as the toilet downpipe.

My question is, can I run the new downpipe from the toilet into the vent, NO rather than run it into the existing downpipe in the foundation (concrete would need to be removed)?

Is this code (Pennsylvania), and would it work? It is my understanding that the vent just leads to the chamber that the pump sits in, just like the downpipe. Am I right about this?

So I can cut a new hole in the lid for a new sewage inlet (say 3-4").

Why can't I tie into the vent, and just widen the vent to 3-4"? Every other vent in the house is wet vented. Is wet venting not code in Penn, or does this have to do specifically with the vent from the elevator?

Also, if you were going to modify the lid for the new inlet, would you just cut the hole, and seal a PVC pipe in it, or do you recommend welding in a steel pipe, and then using a fern-co to connect to a PVC line?

It looks like I have plenty of meat in the lid to put a 4" pipe in there. This seems like the easiest way to go if I can't tie into the vent.

FaSYFhl.jpg

are their more than 2 fixtures draining into your sewage pit?
is your basement les than 6' in height
water closet is 3 fixture units

just to name a few, in the sewage ejector section their are a couple more, "why nots"

scan0001.jpg

Last edited:
OK, that explains why there is wet venting in the current configuration, and why I can't tie into the vent coming off of the sewage pit. If I drill a separate inlet into the lid, and run the new bathroom and washer into it, I should be ok, correct?

Currently, there are two bathrooms (toilet, shower, sink), the washer, and possibly the kitchen (not sure if it runs directly to the septic) draining into the sewage pit. I am moving one of those bathrooms, and am updating all appliances to modern appliances. I am therefore reducing (due to water efficiency) the amount of sewage going to sewage pit. Are there any issues with doing this?

Rent a jackhammer for a day, and be done with it, the RIGHT way.

The time spent trying to figure out a shortcut, and add in the time spent to actually perform the shortcut, you could be well on your way to a proper installation.

Yup, that schematic is exactly what I want to do. Thank you. Is this a standard solution to this problem? No code violations or anything?

Rent a jackhammer for a day, and be done with it, the RIGHT way.

The time spent trying to figure out a shortcut, and add in the time spent to actually perform the shortcut, you could be well on your way to a proper installation.

I don't see why this is not a proper solution. It is a thick steel lid, and I plan on supporting the pipes with wood joists. Doing it this way also keeps all the plumbing accessible.

I also don't want to tear up the floor until I am ready to replace the basin.

Latest posts

Back