New System Low Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe they can sell pumps with no more information than that. It still doesn't give the max pressure. That is probably a sign that it doesn't make enough pressure, so they don't list it. Again, from that stupid chart, I am GUESSING that pump cannot even build 50 PSI, and the deeper it is to water the less pressure it can build. I would guess pumping from 25' that it cannot even build 40 to shut off a 20/40 switch. So, yes if you want good pressure you will need a good pump. It doesn't have to be a brand name, but needs to show a max pressure of at least 80 PSI. That way it can still be 20' to water and the pump still work with a 40/60 switch. Starting with 40/60 you would still have 20/40 after the filters. But starting with 20/40 you got nothing left after the filters.
I have found that people will sell anything that someone else will buy. This also applies to big stores painted blue or orange.

I walk through the plumbing department snd shake my head at the garbage plumbing products and gimmicks being sold.

If people would return that crap when it doesn’t work they would stop selling it. But most just throw it in the garbage snd forget about it.

I have found that people will sell anything that someone else will buy. This also applies to big stores painted blue or orange.

I walk through the plumbing department snd shake my head at the garbage plumbing products and gimmicks being sold.

If people would return that crap when it doesn’t work they would stop selling it. But most just throw it in the garbage snd forget about it.

Some throw it away, but many do not. There are warehouses full of returned and defective goods. The manufacturers don't care. They actually plan it that way. A warehouse full of defective goods just means there are millions more that were not returned. Those products will need replacement with the same product or a different one. Either way the wheels of the company get more grease. Making something that really works and last is called a "disruptive product", as it is disruptive to the companies cash flow.

I am also amazed at how many people fall for these iffy products, usually on the pretense of being green or saving energy. Unfortunately, it causes many of them not to trust a good thing when they do see one. Many things like the Cycle Stop Valve seem too good to be true, but they are. However, some people will latch onto any negative comment they can find to talk themselves out of trying it. Sounds too simple so they think it can't really work. I can show them thirty years of proven success and give a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and they will still believe a neighbor or an idiot on the Internet and not try the best thing they could ever do for their water system.

I was told by one of those stores thanks for my time, but they decided they couldn't afford to sell Cycle Stop Valves. They would have to eliminate the entire pump isle as with a CSV nobody would ever need a replacement pump, tank, switch, check valve, or anything. You also won't find a single pump manufacturer that even allows a CSV to be mentioned on their property. Sad that things that can save you money and make life better are kept secret, and things that cost you over and over are advertised heavily and in our face everywhere you look. It pays to educate yourself on products instead of just falling for the flashiest adds. Companies prefer to sell you a $150 pump ten times in 30 years instead of selling one that will last 30 years for 500 bucks.

Yeah, it’s the ones who throw it away and don’t return it that ruin it for the rest of us.

CSV is a good thing but in general, I don’t like wells and pumps. Our city water is some of the best you’ll find so if it’s available I 100% push for a homeowner to connect. A well would be great for outside water but for inside a residence our city water is hard to beat.

My well water is cleaner than city water, and doesn't have toxic chlorine in it. Even if I had to treat it I prefer my own water system. I trust myself more than I trust the government to test my water. Look what happened in Flint. Connecting to city water would be my last option. Tons of booster pumps sold as most city pressure is inadequate. Won't even discuss the difference in cost per gallon to pump your own water as there is no comparison.

My well water is cleaner than city water, and doesn't have toxic chlorine in it. Even if I had to treat it I prefer my own water system. I trust myself more than I trust the government to test my water. Look what happened in Flint. Connecting to city water would be my last option. Tons of booster pumps sold as most city pressure is inadequate. Won't even discuss the difference in cost per gallon to pump your own water as there is no comparison.

me it comes down to what’s best for my plumbing system. I can buy city water that uses zero electricity and is maintained for me. In 50 years I’ve never been without water. Is drawn from a lake and has is adjusted ph and is chlorinated.

5100 gallons for $22.69 that's tax included. $275 a year and I don’t have to do a thing to it.

Most if not all well water here is acidic. It must be treated or it eats your plumbing and stains the fixtures. It’s terrible for water heaters.

Wells can be poisoned and contaminated just like city supply. But not many people test their well water.....

I have tankless water heaters on our city water that are 15 yrs old and have never been cleaned and have never thrown trouble codes. Copper pipe lasts for over 75 yrs on our city water.

Point is that it depends where you live and the quality of water that is available to YOU. It varies by location.
51A68F03-D9BB-4058-812D-8014D47499CE.jpeg

Last edited:
It also depends on how much city water cost. 20 bucks a month here just for a meter. Then the more water you use the higher per gallon it is. They made everyone conserve. When we did, they lost a lot of revenue from the water, so they double, tripled the price.

Over thirty years the initial cost and repairs to my well and pump have cost about 130 bucks a year. Then for $21 in electricity I can pump 80,000 gallons of water. My city neighbors have small yards and $300 a month water bills.

My friend just had to install a new jet pump.
$1300 for the pump plus $400 to install it. Remember me asking you about it ?

He had to find it....no one had it in stock. He drove 60 miles to pick it up so he could get water back on ASAP. Took 1/2 day off work to go get it.
$1700 would pay his water bill for about 6 years......and he wouldn’t have to maintain or pay for electricity.

Glad you are lucky enough to have good quality, reliable, and fair priced city water. Most people put up with water outages, boil water notices, low quality water, and high water bills, only to also need a jet/booster pump as the city pressure is too low. I have worked on enough city water systems, seen the incompetency of public officials, and no longer trust anyone but myself to maintain or monitor something as precious to me as my water supply.

Latest posts

Back