New sump pump install including basin help

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattalb

Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the group! Looking to install sump pump in my basement. It’s never had one apparently and fully finished! We had some seepage recently and some minor water damage on flooring and wall. Looked everywhere but no pump. Seepage Appears to be overland but figured we should protect ourselves anyway since wall is ripped up. Main question here is can I install basin within a foot or so of a wall? I’ll attach a photo for reference. Quick shot up the wall and out with waste pipe and outlet right there so think we can handle the job. Thanks I’m advance for any replies and greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 2CDCB9E1-E6E7-4987-90FE-912AD2F3C3F4.jpeg
    2CDCB9E1-E6E7-4987-90FE-912AD2F3C3F4.jpeg
    999.7 KB · Views: 0
I think I would watch during another rain, unless you had the sheet rock done and are sure of were the water is coming from, the other thing you have to consider is if you install a basin, will that change the way the water flows maybe over thinking but that's just me

I think I would watch during another rain, unless you had the sheet rock done and are sure of were the water is coming from, the other thing you have to consider is if you install a basin, will that change the way the water flows maybe over thinking but that's just me
Thanks for the reply Geoff. Makes sense. Had someone over yesterday to give opinion. He said we probably don’t have a weeping tile system as there are no clean outs or existing sump pump. would likely be a waste of money if we are just basement slab on dirt, there would be no way for water to drain to basin. Think the best we can do is roll on some seal on foundation where it’s open. It’s unfortunate because it’s winter in Alberta so not expecting any heavy rain but have open insurance claim so it will likely be restored before next season.

if we are just basement slab on dirt
If this is not a very old house, and assuming it was built to "normal" construction techniques, your basement slab was placed over a +/- 4" gravel base. So, if your seepage is coming from the basement to wall cold joint, or from through the floor or wall in cracks during high water table events, a sump basin WILL help mitigate that. Water will flow through the gravel base to the sump basin. The bottom of the basin should sit on 4"-6" of gravel, and the basin should have 2"-4" of gravel all around its cylindrical surface. Weep holes in the basin will allow the ground water to enter the basin and the sump pump discharge needs to be directed to an area that drains it away from the house.

My questions would be, age of the home, soil type, and is it possible that there is a weeping system connected directly to the sewer system?

Off topic, where is the condensate drain from your tankless going to?

Back