New shower, sewer small

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJones2012

Reaction score
Built a new $400,000 house last year. Basic one piece shower in master bath. Nothing fancy for plumbing fixtures. But shower drain stinks like sewer gas within 24 hours after a shower. Cleaned out the drain pipe with a paint roller and strong soap. Tried enzymatic drain cleaner. Tried vinegar and baking soda. The plumber was out and confirmed it has a P trap, it has standing water in it. Adjusted the drain assembly to make sure no pooling of water. I removed the flow restrictor from the shower head to make sure good flow of water. Plumber is stumped. I am stumped - but I am know little about plumbing other than to not touch it. It is not the tub, toilet, nor sinks - just the shower drain.

HELP - whatever could it be? Have you ever run across such a problem? What could possibly cause this? Would running a snake down there in case something weird got down there during construction? I am just totally stumped - and so is the plumber.

Sorry for the long email. All hints and/or solutions greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help. KJ

If the water trap is not all the way up to the weir then sewer gas will be let in. Not sure why that would happen unless they s trapped it. If they put a fitting right off of the trap at a 90° then the momentum of the water going through the trap would force all the water out.. does that make sense? Hope I'm explaining it clearly.

Back