new sewage system

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjlotz

Reaction score
I live in a subdivision of 40+ homes that is about to get a sewage system via the local County. All of us are on septic systems now. I would like to know what to expect in terms of cost to connect to the main lines. We have been told that we need to hire a State Certified Master Plumber to connect to the taps at the main line, get a Building Permit for $45.00, have it inspected after installation by the new Sewer Maintenance Department at a cost of $100.00 each, all at our personal expense. What would be a decent estimate of the cost of material and labor per household for these connections; is it based on cost per foot (to dig the trenches, lay the pipe and connect each end), or time & material? We would like to accept proposals from 3 different companies to do the job for all of us. How do you think the contract should be written, since some have over 200' to install and others only around 50'. Anyone been involved in this situation before? We live in a small Kentucky area of around 25,000 people, but have over a dozen plumbing companies to chose from. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I live in a subdivision of 40+ homes that is about to get a sewage system via the local County. All of us are on septic systems now. I would like to know what to expect in terms of cost to connect to the main lines. We have been told that we need to hire a State Certified Master Plumber to connect to the taps at the main line, get a Building Permit for $45.00, have it inspected after installation by the new Sewer Maintenance Department at a cost of $100.00 each, all at our personal expense. What would be a decent estimate of the cost of material and labor per household for these connections; is it based on cost per foot (to dig the trenches, lay the pipe and connect each end), or time & material? We would like to accept proposals from 3 different companies to do the job for all of us. How do you think the contract should be written, since some have over 200' to install and others only around 50'. Anyone been involved in this situation before? We live in a small Kentucky area of around 25,000 people, but have over a dozen plumbing companies to chose from. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

this is a diy site, contact your local plumbing official and ask if a home owner can install his own sewer line in your jurisdiction .

it will be some work, but will save thousands

to answer your question,

most companies will give you a price per foot to install sewers. what the price is in your area..i dunno

get 3 estimates....do not pick the first guy..get estimates

do not pay them till the sewer is inspected AND backfilled.
job completed before pay

walk the ditch. make the smooth the dirt out. or YOU will be doing it with a shovel

Last edited:
I would charge between 5-10k to connect in the street and run a new lateral less than 100'. Not including any road removals or replacement.

Again it is hard to give any sort of accurate bid without seeing the job. I also live in California where politics has made it expensive to do anything.

I would charge between 5-10k to connect in the street and run a new lateral less than 100'. Not including any road removals or replacement.

Again it is hard to give any sort of accurate bid without seeing the job. I also live in California where politics has made it expensive to do anything.

thats true. some ground is sandy loam sewer only 5'

other it is boulder s as big as VW's 15' deep

On the contract front; I assume your desire to get a contract in place for the whole subdivision is to get some economy of scale. I would structure the contract to get a unit price for each connection, and a unit price per lineal foot for the excavation, pipe runs, backfill etc.. Assuming there are no unusual conditions for any one house this should be pretty easy to structure and still allow a way to apportion costs based on the different length of runs to each house.
Be sure to include unambiguous specifications for things like backfill, cleanup, etc.

Back