New pump, new foot valve, new supply line , shallow well jet pump

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Creager

Reaction score
Ok... im at a loss... got a new well pump, new switch, new gauge, new foot valve, replaced all 25 foot of supply line.... primed the new pump.. still won't build pressure... check voltage, voltage is fine.... it doesn't have a check valve but didn't have one the while last year I lived here.. and it was fine before... Any ideas????

Look at the troubleshooting section of your pump install manual.

The foot valve is the check valve in a system like that. If the pump is running and not making water, it is either not primed, sucking air from somewhere, or something is restricted. Pictures help a lot, model of pump is good. It is usually not a problem with the pump but something connected.

The foot valve is the check valve in a system like that. If the pump is running and not making water, it is either not primed, sucking air from somewhere, or something is restricted. Pictures help a lot, model of pump is good. It is usually not a problem with the pump but something connected.
Well.. I was gonna take a picture of everything... but somehow my foot valve fell off... since I assume it can't build pressure and blow the foot valve off... im gonna assume my dumbass didn't tighten the clamp tight enough.... will take a picture of the well pump itself.... but question.... would it hurt if put a check valve in about 4 foot from the foot valve?.. I know the foot valve is a check valve... but I live in a super sandy area of north carolina called the sandhills... soo I wonder if 2 check valves would cause a suction issue?

The foot valve is the only check valve you want. You can lose prime between two check valves like that. Use metal extra long barb fittings so you can add at least two hose clamps with the buckles on opposite sides.

X2 on Valveman's suggestion on 2 clamps, and I always like to warm up the poly water line when tightening the clamps. A heat gun works well but be careful not to overheat. A thermos full of hot water works well.

The foot valve is the only check valve you want. You can lose prime between two check valves like that. Use metal extra long barb fittings so you can add at least two hose clamps with the buckles on opposite sides.
I've been using a propane torch to heat it... just passing over it once or twice... never letting it just sit on the pipe... is that too hot?

Attachments

• 20230823_232459.jpg
    20230823_232459.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
If you ever decide to replace those type fittings and pipe from the outlet side of the pump I suggest Rehau Pexa with Boshart stainless crimp pex fittings and copper crimp rings.

Just don't get it so hot you can't hold your hand on it.

Latest posts

Back