New PRV valves not working?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth_Hambrick

Professional
Professional
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LLP here, So ive noticed over the past two years that about half Pressure regulation valves I install seem to work well immediately after instilation, but over night the pressure shoots up to 120-160psi. Ive tried putting expansion tanks on water heaters in case this was thermal expansion, Ive tried calling the city to test the pressure in the line (i live in near Johnson City TN, where the pressure is above 150 in most places without a prv valve. Yet nothing seems to work. I always make sure to turn the incoming water back on very slowly, yet every other PRV valve I put in allows the pressure to shoot up over night like crazy. Some of them Ive taken back to the store for a refund and replaced them with new prvs multiple times but nothing seems to work. Are the watts brand PRV valves just not working anymore?

If you have working thermal expansion control and your water pressure continues to creep up then you have a faulty pressure reducing valve.

The only brand sold at any of the stores around me are Watts brand. Do you have a suggesiton for a differnt brand I could order online?
not really. Either you’re getting a bad batch of valves or model number…..

I’d buy from somewhere else than box stores or switch to a different model number. Is the water trashy ? Install a strainer upstream.

I once installed 3 motion detectors for an alarm system from two different suppliers……called alarm guy and he installed a 4th one and said all 3 of mine were defective. It happens.

Back