New pressure relief valve leaking again.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcockrell

Reaction score
A year ago, I replaced a leaking pressure relief valve on my electric water heater. The unit is probably 10-15 years old. Well a year later and it is releasing water again (quite a bit actually). Is it time for a new unit altogether?

Oh ya you are due for a new heater. Might want to look into a thermal expansion tank as well. Your heater and all your water pipes could be experiencing thermal expansion causing the tp valve to release. Do you have a pressure reducing valve? Or any check valves anywhere in your system. If so you have a closed plumbing system and need an expansion tank installed on the heater.

Would a replacement unit suffice or would I need a new unit + expansion tank?

Depending on your system(open closed? Psi coming into the home?) and the city you live in you might not need an expansion tank. All I'm saying is if you got ten years out of a water heater congratulations it maybe time for a new one. And while your at it throw an expansion tank on there since it can only benefit the system.

heater + expansion tank

Back