New Plumbing Project - PRV & Whole House Filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chackett

Reaction score
Hey All-

Forgive me (and advise me) if I should break this stuff into multiple threads, or if just having one is ok. Whatever the community prefers .. just let me know.

I'm about to start a project to replace the PRV and install a whole house water filter. I have a manual pex crimp tool set that I've used without incident or failure, so I'm relatively comfortable with that. I've only used it for things like under-sink connections in bathrooms, etc., never on the house supply line. Are these types of connections adequate for street pressure? I guess the only fitting at that pressure is the street side of the PRV. How long should I sleep with one eye open, afraid my pex crimp is going to fail at 2:00 in the morning?

I attached a photo of the area where I'm going to be working. This house has a hot water recirc pump that supposedly keeps hot water at fixtures. It was installed by the builder, and I'm the second owner. I've never owned a home with a recirc system, but I think it's broken or not working correctly. If someone is taking a shower upstairs, there will be ZERO hot water at the kitchen sink downstairs. Not reduced hot water or luke warm water....no hot water. Someone in our neighborhood posted in our facebook group that they had a similar problem and some plumber claimed to immediately know what was wrong and fixed it. While I'm in here moving the PRV and installing a water filter, is there anything I can or should do with this recirc pump?

I'll try and take a better photo when I get back home this evening.

Thanks! Looking forward to working with this community to get er done.

Attachments

• msedge_30DYJtmC1i.png
    msedge_30DYJtmC1i.png
    716.8 KB · Views: 0
Take a picture of the tag on the prv, it looks like you can remove that prv I think those are unions see if you can find it on line or at a plumbing supply house
Thanks! Yeah, the PRV part of the equation I feel pretty comfortable with. It's a Watts LF N45B M1 3/4" And you're correct, those are unions, so if I were just replacing the PRV, it would be easy peasy. My local Lowes has tons of them in stock.

But because I'm introducing a whole house water filter on the house side of the PRV, I'm going to have to re-route some of these lines. Which, also, really doesn't give me too much heartburn .. outside the notion that I've never used my Harbor Freight pex crimp kit (complete with go/no go gauge) on street side lines. I assume that's fine?

The other reason I posted this project here, is to see if there is anything I should do about the whole house water recirc situation.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Chris

Use brass nipples and unions on each side of the filter and a tee with a ball valve to relieve pressure secure the filter were the brass nipples are because it will be rigid then PEX after that,with PEX you will need lots of hangers it makes it like nice and neat also

Use brass nipples and unions on each side of the filter and a tee with a ball valve to relieve pressure secure the filter were the brass nipples are because it will be rigid then PEX after that,with PEX you will need lots of hangers it makes it like nice and neat also
Thanks! My plan is to do all the prep tomorrow and the installation on Saturday .. weather is kinda crummy here so seems like a great weekend to get it done.

Install is complete. Day 2 and no leaks. Need to add a little support here and there, but otherwise seems fine.Mar_17_2024_9_51_34.jpg

Back