New Phister Diverter Leaking through Front

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cannon123

Reaction score
Hello-

I recently attempted to replace an old Phister diverter with an identical part identified at the plumbing supply store. After install, the new one drips from the front (see attached picture) from around packing nut. It does not leak from the back and screws in fine behind. I have tightened packing nut but it will just cause handle not to move. I tried swapping the new 'screw plunger' handle with seal on end into the old diverter housing and having same problem.

The only thing I havent done is removed the old , I dont know what is called, brass seat nut that is screwed inside the old pipe and I assume creates a seal with the plunger. I cleaned out the area with CLR and it is clearly identical to the 'seat nut' that came with the new part. So I see no reason to replace it. And again, it is not leaking from the front, it is leaking from front. See attached photo. Thanks anyone for help on this one!

wdl2m8t4n4171.jpg

Remove the stem and take it completely apart and use silicone grease on all metal surfaces that touch each other, and where the packing contacts the stem. Reassemble and install.

Last edited:
Thanks Twowaxhack. The silicone grease did the trick stopped the leak while still allowing stem to turn after packing it down. Now, of course, the tub faucet wont fully divert to showerhead and vice versa. I dont get it because the new diverter is identical to old one and I even tried mixing and matching stem, etc. I guess now its time to call in the local pros. The perils of living in a 130 yr old house - nothing EVER goes back in the same way it came out! Thanks again for the tip Twowaxhack.

Thanks Twowaxhack. The silicone grease did the trick stopped the leak while still allowing stem to turn after packing it down. Now, of course, the tub faucet wont fully divert to showerhead and vice versa. I dont get it because the new diverter is identical to old one and I even tried mixing and matching stem, etc. I guess now its time to call in the local pros. The perils of living in a 130 yr old house - nothing EVER goes back in the same way it came out! Thanks again for the tip Twowaxhack.
Make sure to use official Price Pfister diverter. Not a knock off brand

Latest posts

Back