New kitchen sink drain doesn't line up. Help a novice!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WegnerChair

Reaction score
Hi PlumbingForums!

Long time listener, first time caller here! I’m in need of a bit of what I hope is easy plumbing advice.

The background: I’m in lovely New York City, where all fixtures are old and suck. I’m doing a DIY kitchen counter / sink / faucet replacement. The counter and backsplash went in today and now I’m on the plumbing, where I’ve run into an issue.

The issue: my cool new sink is 1) smaller, 2) deeper, and 3) located slightly to the right of where my old sink was. Thus, the drains aren’t lining up quite right and the tailpiece from my new sink is a way too long.

What’s my best bet here? Having the tail piece cut down? Leaving the tailpiece as is and coming up with a new connector to the P-trap? Do I just need to have a plumber get involved?

Since I’m on a budget, le$$ is more.

Please find pics here. As you can see, I’m so close, yet so far!

Thank you for any advice!

Qxmf8Uj

https://imgur.com/a/Qxmf8Uj

Tubular PVC will be your best friend in this situation. That's the cheapest route, but you may need to piece it together.

I'm also a novice, but I think you will definitely need to cut the tailpiece down. If you don't have the tools to cut metal, just go buy a pvc tailpiece for a few bucks and cut it with a hacksaw.

As for the drain not lining up, I'd go buy pvc s trap at lowes and piece if together. It may also be easier to buy a flexible pvc trap like this one: https://flexp-trap.com/

And again, no to the flex trap. Never ever add either of those. Ever. Sorry bud.

Is it possible to take the trap out? Put an adapter in the steel, bring it out and 45 or 22 back and then put the trap. You would have a significant fall going to the trap. But that may be the only way. Unless you piece it together with tubular extensions.

Ah, I see! Any reason not to just piece with PVC? Trying not to get myself in over my head.

Cut the horizontal on steel 90. Then big wrenches. 1 to hold steel pipe as cabinet base. The other longer one to spin 90 off. Then reattach with pvc threaded coupling. Then a tee with studor above tee. Bring horizontal of tee out about 6” then start your trap straight down from sink and arm over straight into pipe. They do make tubular fittings to match what you have but you will be right back next year

Ah, I see. Any reason I'd be back next year with the tubular fitting? Problems sealing to the stainless and tailpiece?

Yeah once metal starts rusting it doesn’t stop. So when you use tubular there is water and acidic sewage sitting at the seal. So the steel rusts quicker now. And u have 1/2” less of good pipe to attach too.

Has anyone made it clear to the OP that it's not just the issue of reconnecting the new sink drain with the existing piping but that he has an existing illegal S-trap arrangement and he must incorporate a functional vent arrangement.
Comment #8 has some instructions on how to approach this but I doubt the OP knows what going on.

Last edited:
I would disassemble all that hard pipe crap all the way to the vertical coming out of the floor. Then re-pipe with ABS to a conventional P trap and riser to the sink. Simple and clean. Venting situation is unclear, but probably a Studor in your future. Hmmm. Looking back, I think I just repeated James' advice.

Back