New jersey house trap

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayman920

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Have a question, i live in nj, there is a smell coming from the location of the house trap. My question is, is it code to have one? How much would it cost to have it replaced?

Thanks for the help..
Jay

Not sure what the codes are in NJ but house traps don't meet code in most areas. Is the house trap leaking? If it isn't then you shouldn't be getting any odors from it. I would check with your building dept. and if there not required I would remove it. (I doubt there required)

John

house traps -- more trouble that good-- use to keep my toilet auger busy.

Thanks guys, i went to the building dept, in my town its code to have one. Im going to do it myself.

I didn't think that they would be required in any code. I don't see any advantage to them at all. At one time when homes weren't vented properly they had some use. But with today's codes there nothing but trouble. When updating an older home your required to remove them in most areas.
Just my option.;)

John

Last edited:
I didn't thing that they would be required in any code. I don't see any advantage to them at all. At one time when homes weren't vented properly they had some use. But with today's codes there nothing but trouble. When updating an older home your required to remove them in most areas.
Just my option.;)

John

John,
The guy at the building department mentioned something about woodbridge NJ has refierniery in the town, that's why we use them. I don't understand.

Latest posts

Back