New Gas Water Heater Won't Light

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaksealer

Reaction score
Greetings fellow plumbers and do it yourselfers.

Can someone please suggest a remedy to a new gas water heater that refuses to light? I bled the air out of the gas union and I bled the gas valve by holding down the red button for quite a while but the new STATE Natural gas 40 - gallon water heater refuses to light. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

My first guess would be that your thermacoupler is either incorrectly adjusted, or it has been disconnected or damaged during shipment. Your pilot flame should heat this sensor adequately so that the gas will not shut off. Proper position is about 1/4 into the direct flame, and there is usually an adjustment allowing proper alignment. If it seems to be adjusted properly, follow the wires from that point to ensure they are connected properly.

If neither of these two ideas fail to help you, then you need to continue troubleshooting, or decide to return the water heater, which would obviously be a real pain in the neck (actually lower, but you get my point!)

Should be under warranty. Just make sure it was installed to local codes.
Call the manufacturer. I cut my teeth on State water Heaters doing warranty work(about 25 yrs ago).
Had a " how to trouble shoot water heaters" in my backpocket and read it for the 1st time while doing a warranty service call on State Wtr Htrs.
Hope the guy they send out has already read it before hand.:D

I'm sure you saw his other posting that he was actually getting a flame, but it was hard to see thru the flame box, so all is well finally for him!

Back