New fridge, no ice maker…Is this how I cap the line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick question?

Reaction score
Hi, I will need to stop the water line for my new fridge wo ice maker but want to leave the line in case I want to install one later. Do I just turn that needle valve to the right (it moves right and left but I turned to the right until it stopped) to close the water then use this cap to put in the end of the line at the back of the fridge after letting it drain (I shouldn’t have to turn the rest of the water off right?)?

The plumbers want to charge $115 but I think all I need is this little $6 valve right?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3793.jpeg
    IMG_3793.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    759.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3784.jpeg
    IMG_3784.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3815.jpeg
    IMG_3815.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Yes, turn the little valve handle all the way to the right.

Then you’ll need to cut the copper behind the refrigerator after you disconnect it, then your cap will push on. Follow the directions that came with the cap.

Yes, turn the little valve handle all the way to the right.

Then you’ll need to cut the copper behind the refrigerator after you disconnect it, then your cap will push on. Follow the directions that came with the cap.
Thanks! Do I need a special tool to cut the copper? I have a cutting tool on some pliers but feel like that will squish the copper?

If you turn off the needle valve you shouldn’t need to cap it off. I’d undo the copper tubing at the needle valve to ensure it doesn’t drip.

I would not have guessed that those push-to-connect fittings were suitable for copper, but Guest seems to think they are. _Personally_ I try to never use them, but Twowaxhack is the expert here. For sure you'd want a straight section of tubing with a clean end cut, and probably want to deburr it so the cut end doesn't damage the O-ring. For $3 you can't go wrong, but if it leaks it'll be behind your fridge. I've seen the results of a pinhole leak in the copper line behind a fridge, and you don't want to go there.

Is there a suitable cap that'd screw directly into the compression fitting on the needle valve? Would something like https://www.amazon.com/LTWFITTING-Brass-Compression-COMPRESSION-FITTING/dp/B00CHHYCZS work?

Latest posts

Back