New faucet bangs when turning on hot or cold

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejudgie

Reaction score
Hi, I replaced my faucet about a month ago and now when I turn just that one faucet on it will bang once and then work fine for the next few hours.
Its seems to happen after its been off for a while and did not happen with the old faucet. It also does not happen with the other faucets in my house.
I have read online that it could be some air in my pipes. Some of the solutions suggest look like this one:

https://www.alldryus.com/plumbing/how-to-remove-air-from-water-pipes/

Does this sound like the right solution or is the new faucet faulty? Did I not install it properly?

Thanks,
-Ed

One handle or two handle faucet ?

Name and model of faucet ?

What happens when you turn it on/off really slow ?

The spray diverter may be defective. What’s your water pressure ?

It only happens when I turn the water on. If I do it really slowly it does not happen.
I am not sure what my water pressure is. How would I find out that?

Hose Bibb pressure gauge, sold at most hardware stores for $12

For now, run some hot water and repeatedly make the side spray turn on and off. Do that for a few minutes and see if that cures it.

Ok, yea I see them. I can pick one up. Is it important to take a reading from the faucet or would an outside faucet be ok?

Ok I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know.

This is interesting. Whenever I just press the sprayer and then use the faucet handle for hot or cold, I now alway hear the bang/thump. So I can make it happen at will now whereas before it would only happen after hours of no use.
When installing the faucet, the sprayer attachment was like a square connector and I was expecting it to clip in but I never heard or felt it clip. But since there was no leaking I assumed it was ok.
So it does seem related to the sprayer or maybe how I installed it?

If the faucet is only a month old I would take it back and get the same thing. Hopfully the divertor is not bad
on the second one.

Ok maybe I will do that. Do you think I run the risk of there being a leak if I continue to use it like this?

What type of supply valves do you have for the faucet?

The pressure is showing 50 psi. Is that about normal?

Supply valves look like the attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9931.jpg
    IMG_9931.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
The problem is the diverter valve within the faucet or the faucet itself is defective.

Attachments

• EA27A0BF-40D5-4B7D-B877-C105ECC01354.jpeg
    EA27A0BF-40D5-4B7D-B877-C105ECC01354.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 94CF69AE-602F-4323-8E75-F471DCAF8D41.jpeg
    94CF69AE-602F-4323-8E75-F471DCAF8D41.jpeg
    355.3 KB · Views: 0
You could take the faucet apart and remove the diverter to confirm.

Just put the faucet back together omitting the diverter and see how the faucet operates, the bumping noise should be gone.

Then either replace the diverter or replace the entire faucet.

Thanks. I am just going to replace this sink. I am going to try one without the sprayer since we don't ever use it and install a soap dispenser in the hole since that is something we do use a lot.

For what it is worth. Water hammer usually occurs when one shuts off the water and then you will hear the banging pipe. You tube has several solutions to eleminate this problem. The one I like is titled HOW TO FIX BANGING PIPES/WATER HAMMER. My water pressure is set at 65-70psi.

Ej, be careful of your local plumbing codes. My state required my plumber to put in an Airgap. This fits into the hole where a normal sprayhead would be put. Luckily, Delta and other faucet makers offer a sprayhead integrated into the faucet outlet.

9178-AR-DST-B1.png

Recently I had my contractor fix a leaking Price Pfister faucet that had a pull-out head with a Moen faucet without such a head. Boy, did we miss the convenience of a pull-out head. It made watering of orchids much more difficult, as well as cleaning salads. Get a good brand with the pull-out spray heads, and your spouse will thank you. I've learned from the experiences of other forum members to only buy the top tier brands like Delta when it comes time to install new faucets in the home. The kitchen faucet and bath/shower faucets are the most important ones in a house.

Yea, I hear what you are saying. The wife already commented to me about how easy it was to water a nearby plant. But it's not common that we have one nearby and also we can just fill up a cup of water and do it that way.
I installed essentially the same Delta faucet without sprayer and added a soap dispenser last week. No more issues with hearing a bang and 10x more useful. We really barely used the sprayer and nice not having a plastic bottle always falling over into the sink. :)

Thank you to everyone's reply and help diagnosing this.

Back