New Expansion tank on hot water boiler - but still getting water overflow

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simpson148

Reaction score
I've recently installed a new expansion tank on my hot water boiler. The tank is not full of water and releases air when i press the schrader valve.
However, the bucket below my TP relief valve continues to fill with water...I need to empty it once a week or I get a wet basement floor.
I have attached a diagram of the system. Please let me know if there is anything I can try to do to fix the issue or if I need to call a plumber.
Thanks, Peter

Attachments

• Boiler_diagram.jpg
    Boiler_diagram.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2
What is you're system pressure? what is the precharge of the expansion tank?

System pressure looks like 20 and the tank is 11 or 12. Should they match?

Attachments

• IMG_2307.jpeg
    IMG_2307.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
It's better if your system pressure is lower than 20. The pump will last longer & the system will be quieter.

About 6 PSI-G (operating temp) for a one-story house and up to 12 PSI-G (operating temp) for multi story building are commonly used, but there is no rock-solid rule, except: Stay far under 30 PSI-G when hot. (Relief valve opening point)
If you use 6 PSI-G, set the tank at 12 PSI-G. If you use 12 PSI-G system, set the tank at about 16 PSI-G

Is yours dripping cold and hot, or hot only?
Slow drip is usually a pressure problem or a wrinkled diaphragm in the relief valve.

If Dripping Cold and Hot....
**Work With A Cold System Only-
Set your expansion tank to 12 PSI-G and system pressure to 6 PSI-G

Verify that the pressure gauge is correct. To do this, you may be able to connect a gauge to a boiler drain (looks like a garden hose faucet) somewhere in the system. Your gauge may be off & your pressure may be over the 30 PSI-G that opens the relief valve.

If the gauge is correct at 20 PSI-G, then suspect that the relief valve has something stuck in the seat. Snap the handle a few times to flush a quick blast of water out. If that does not solve it, the seat may be wrinkled or the spring weak.

If Dripping Hot System Only-
The system has too much pressure and/or the expansion tank has too little pressure. Check the automatic fill valve.

If Blasting Momentarily-
The system is probably over-heating. Check your aquastat and high limit for accuracy.
It also may be due to a restriction (rare). Put a gauge on the supply pipe and on the return pipe near the boiler. Run the system. The pressures should almost match. If the return is lower by several PSI-G, there is a restriction.

TANK SETTING-
The expansion tank usually comes at 12 PSI-G from the manufacturer.

If You Want To Get Precise Pressure For Your System-
To get a perfect pressure match for your system, do this math:
Pa= H(Dc/144)+5

Pa = Tank Pressure
H = Distance from the tip of the tank to the top of the highest item in the system. (Top of a radiator, baseboard, etc.)
Dc = Fluid Density Cold (Pounds per cubic foot)
70 degree-F water is usually about 62.3 pounds per cubic foot
Note that if you use a chemical or glycol, your Fluid Density will be different.

The 5 is the assumed final pressure you will have at the highest point in the system

Use the Pa result to set the air charge in the expansion tank and maintain the system water pressure below that.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, thank you very much for your thorough reply.. It looks like I have some homework to do. My first job is to flush the relief valve...then I will try to determine if the overflow is hot or cold or both. I have never witnessed the actual overflow so I will try to induce that by cranking up the thermostat and watching the boiler until it happens. I'll get back if/when I have more information.
Thanks again, its much appreciated.
-Peter

It's dripping hot and cold. Flushing the TP valve and gentle tapping didn't work. I'm going to replace it and will report back.

Back