New Construction Rough In Question

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse51180

Reaction score
I purchased a new construction home the end of last year. In the plans I had them add a rough-in for a utility sink in the garage. I have finally got around to be ready to install the sink this week. The plumbers left the drain and two water supply lines covered in the insulation foam tubes. I cut the insulation tubes off so that I could install the shutoff valve on the supply lines and this is what I see...
PXL_20230703_222013959.jpg

So here is my question(s)...keep in mind that ever contractor that seems to have touched this house and f''ed one way of another so at this point I would not be surprised if I have two hot water lines and a 1-1/4 pipe puttied to the wall to make it look like a drain.

Anyway...
-Why would I have what looks to be 1/2" cpvc pipe coming out of the middle of what looks to be 3/4" PEX pipe?
-Is this normal?
-I am just a DIYer and have not worked with PEX before...is the cpvc pipe in the center just a blocking pipe and I should expect to remove completely and connect the shutoff vlave to PEX pipes...or are the red PEX pipes just a protective outer layer (in which one should be blue if someone did their job right!) and I should expect to water to come out the 1/2" cpvc pipe in the middle?

Thanks for any guidance.

I think I would try to trace those PEX lines back to the water (hot/cold) see if they are connected and valved off,see if the drain is connected to the main drain,

That’s 1/2” pex sleeved with 3/4” red pex.

Move along with your project.

Assuming the garage space is not conditioned (?), which is why they probably put the 1/2” inside the 3/4” (insulation, stop it from freezing).

@Twowaxhack is right, you should be good to plumb it out.

Assuming the garage space is not conditioned (?), which is why they probably put the 1/2” inside the 3/4” (insulation, stop it from freezing).

Pick up a couple pex angle stops and the tools below, you’ll be good to go.

1688475953352.png

Attachments

• IMG_0391.jpeg
    IMG_0391.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 0

So glad that here in Hawaii we don't have to deal with freezing pipes (at least on Oahu), however rodents here easily gnaw through PEX in their constant search for water.

Not an ideal situation, especially for un-exposed plumbing...

So glad that here in Hawaii we don't have to deal with freezing pipes (at least on Oahu), however rodents here easily gnaw through PEX in their constant search for water.

Not an ideal situation, especially for un-exposed plumbing...

Rodents living in your walls is more of a problem than the rodents chewing through your piping.

Rodents carry disease and should not be living within the building. Living with rats is not a good idea.

Back