New construction basement plumbing with no plans. How to measure for walls?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt30

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
I’m taking on a new build that has gone a little haywire. A switch up from ICF footings and foundation to standard concrete walls on footings designed for ICF blocks have rendered the blueprints I was given useless as the measurements will now all be off.

From what I can tell, an 8” concrete wall will now be formed center of the 18” footing. I assume the basement walls in front of the foundation will be 2x4.

How would you guys approach measuring to other walls from this situation?

I’m taking on a new build that has gone a little haywire. A switch up from ICF footings and foundation to standard concrete walls on footings designed for ICF blocks have rendered the blueprints I was given useless as the measurements will now all be off.

From what I can tell, an 8” concrete wall will now be formed center of the 18” footing. I assume the basement walls in front of the foundation will be 2x4.

How would you guys approach measuring to other walls from this situation?
I’d have the contractor ( or whoever hired me as a plumber) give me updated plans or lay the walls out himself and I’d pipe to his strings.

I’d have the contractor ( or whoever hired me as a plumber) give me updated plans or lay the walls out himself and I’d pipe to his strings.
Not really an option sadly. Not an ideal situation where the homeowner is acting as GC from another province. The original foundation company who were doing the ICF took off with the guys money, and the only company he could get in to replace them only does standard concrete forms.

The situation sucks

Not really an option sadly. Not an ideal situation where the homeowner is acting as GC from another province. The original foundation company who were doing the ICF took off with the guys money, and the only company he could get in to replace them only does standard concrete forms.

The situation sucks
Good luck

First, don't assume the walls will be 2x4s in a new house. It could easily be 2x6s. And from your description, it appears that you only have the foundation drawings and the plumbing rough in drawings.

Ask the homeowner for the house plans. Surely, they will not change based on the construction method of the foundation. You should then be able to locate a common point like the main stack and rough in the plumbing based on that fixed common point.

I would not do a single thing based on an assumption or without confirmation from the homeowner. They are probably not in a good mood based on the story you told, so I would expect they would be happy to assist so they don't face another money issue.

First, don't assume the walls will be 2x4s in a new house. It could easily be 2x6s. And from your description, it appears that you only have the foundation drawings and the plumbing rough in drawings.

Ask the homeowner for the house plans. Surely, they will not change based on the construction method of the foundation. You should then be able to locate a common point like the main stack and rough in the plumbing based on that fixed common point.

I would not do a single thing based on an assumption or without confirmation from the homeowner. They are probably not in a good mood based on the story you told, so I would expect they would be happy to assist so they don't face another money issue.
Residential drawings here (Nova Scotia, Canada) only show you the placement of fixtures. We don’t get a rough in schematic. It’s up to the plumber to lay out the plumbing on site including measuring out walls to make sure your pipes are inside them.

I think I’ve got it nailed down to a game of inches. The customer has been made aware if a pipe ends up out of a wall im not covering the cost to get it inside the wall as I was not given proper drawings to work from.

I would rather not be in this position at all but here we are! Tomorrow morning is go time.

Back