new cleanout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyscarface

Reaction score
I have a 1 1/2" copper drain coming from my kitchen sink which ties into a 1 1/2" soil stack/vent. Before I close up that wall (remodel) I'd like to install a cleanout in the vertical section. The cleanout will be behind a dishwasher so the esthetic is not a huge consideration. Besides sweating in the cleanout, what are my options? If you suggest specific parts, can you also mention sizes. I'm obviously not a plumber but have gotten through everything this house has thrown at me. For those who want to know why I just don't snake a clog from the stubout or the sink drain, in the past 20 years every attempt is met with a "thud" when the snake hits at the 45 where it meets the vent. Thanks in advance.

A clean-out won't be of much use behind the dishwasher. If the vent goes out the roof you would be far better off snaking the line from on the roof.

John

John - is this because of the trouble necessary to move the dishwasher out of the way? In the attic the 2 1/2" copper terminates and in a convoluted fashion is joined with the main stack (4"?) through a series of joints and Y's. Ending up in the correct drain from the roof would be a cool trick but highly unlikely. Thanks for the thought though.

If you can't snake the line from the vent, and the dishwasher is on the outside wall then make it accessible from out side. That being said I fell that there should be no reason the line can not be cleared from under the sink with the proper snake.

John

I have also installed cleanouts on the actual trap arm before and seen it done quite a bit for kitchen sinks. Its pretty easy and more accessible, especially where the kitchen vent is behind the counter, dishwasher, etc.

Keeping in mind I don't want to braze in a copper cleanout, no one knows what materials I should use to cut a cleanout in to a 1 1/2" copper pipe?

I would definitely recommend soldering it.

If thats not possible, look for some rubber couplings like mission bands or fernco that fit 1-1/2" copper which is 1-5/8" outside diameter.

I would definitely recommend soldering it.

If thats not possible, look for some rubber couplings like mission bands or fernco that fit 1-1/2" copper which is 1-5/8" outside diameter.

So, in that case is the cleanout PVC or copper? Maybe rubber also? Thanks for the insight and for providing a potential answer. That seems kind of difficult to come by.

Back