New bathtub hardware & hot water runs out fast?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SignGuy

Reaction score
I just installed some new bath tub hardware fixtures and have our gas water heater (40 gal about 12 yr old) set very high temp wise. (You can almost be scalded hand washing dishes).

The problem is when taking a shower the water is very hot for about 2 min then it gradually cools off to luke warm by the time you are 3/4 finished with the shower. We have a shower in the lower level and it stays much hotter for the entire shower. :confused:

I looked at the instructions for the new fixture and have adjusted the hot portion to as hot as it will go and that helped a little but not much.

I don't know if some of the plumbing is the issue or if the water heater can not keep up or what??? It seems like when washing dishes it's fine but I know I'm not using the same amount of hot water. It's also strange that the shower in the lower floor stays warm much longer and it's closer to the water heater by about 3 feet from the upstairs shower. :confused::confused:

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for your help,

Sign Guy in Missoula

busted dip tube.. this is a common complaint.

if the hwt is 12 years old then it is likely near the end of its life also, but I wager dollars to doughnuts its a broken diptube \

LiQuId,

Thanks for the response. I watched a video http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/faulty_water_heater_dip_tube_-_diagnosis_and_replacement and from what I could see that would cause the cold replacement water to come in at a higher level and mix right away with the "hot" water pushing out warm water instead of HOT. I think you are probably right on the money.

We were thinking we should probably replace the waterheater because of it's age and this is probably a good opportunity or excuse to get r done!

Thanks again for the tip! :)

no worrys, yeah if you got 12 years out of it then its done well. 10 years is the average life expectancy of a hwt.

glad to help .

I agree, new water heater is a good idea. Does your shower fixture happen to be a delta monitor? I say delta because you said you adjusted the temp on the valve. Could be a stiff balancing spool, which mixes the water at the valve. I dont know exactly what you replaced im just throwing another idea out.

If that were the case they wouldnt be getting hot water initially I would think, though In plumbing anything is possiblle, and it would be an easy think to check... may buy you a while to save some dough for that New shiney HWT ;)

Shoot I don't know what brand it is. Gotta find a photo or the box (I'm about 500 miles away right now). The water does mix at the handle though. I pull off the handle and then the chrome cover and there is almost a little dial with gears (I think it's all plastic) and you can adjust the hot water with that. I have it turned all the way to the left until it hits a stop. It can't go any further. That adjustment helped a little but still the same issue.

I thought I could just run over to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up a dip tube to tide me over a few months until I could save some $ and do a little research about what to purchase but it appears they don't have them in stock and you need to special order it. I doubt any plumbing supply stores are really open on a Sat.....

I'll get r figured out. :)

you can buy dip tubes at any plumbing wholesaler there is a good video on youtube that shows how to change one properly. the gear stop thing makes me think maybe a delta monitor.

Back