New Basement bathroom layout HELP

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyj7713

Reaction score
I am adding a new bathroom in basement and need help with the layout. I am in northern Virginia and the bathroom is below the main sewer line so I am installing a ejector pump.

Here is a quick lay out of how I was thinking of doing it.

-All WYE 's will be at a 45-90 degree up turn
-Vent will be at 45 degree turns, no 90's
-Ejector pump will have its own 2" vent to the roof

Questions:

1. For the floor drain dose it have to be 1.5" or 2" pipe?
2. Should the venting pipe be 1.5" or 2" pipe?
3. is the layout of how I vent the system ok?
4. Do I need another vent for washing machine? If I do can I tie it to Ejector vent?
image.jpg

Am I missing anything?

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Basement layout.jpg
    Basement layout.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 273
You can't lay vents flat the way that you have drawn. The laundry needs a vent, as does the floor drain. Do yourself a favor, and keep all of your piping under slab at least 2".

You can't lay vents flat the way that you have drawn. The laundry needs a vent, as does the floor drain. Do yourself a favor, and keep all of your piping under slab at least 2".

Thanks for the help phishfood.

All the vents will be tied in to pipe with WYE's at 45 degrees turned up. Is that OK? Is that what you mean when you say "You can't lay them flat"

I will make make that change for the floor drain to 2" pipe. Should I also do 2" pipe for the vents even above the slab? I read in another post that it should be 1.5". I would rather keep it all the same so I dont have to buy different size pipe.

Can I tie the laundry vent into the ejector pump vent? I dont think I can right?

No, the vent has to be at no more than a 45 degree angle from the vertical until it is at least 6" above the rim of whatever fixtures it is venting.

You can keep the vents 2", though 1 1/2" would be fine for most of it. Not knowing the total length of the vents, I would recommend that the vent that extends to the roof be 2" for it's entirety.

That I can find in my code, the only time that a sewage ejector requires a stand alone vent is when it is a pneumatic ejector, meaning that the sewage is lifted by means of compressed air. So you should be OK reventing the laundry drain into the ejector vent.

Keep in mind that this is Florida plumbing code, which is based on ICC. Even if you code is also based on that, it is entirely possible that amendments made by either Florida or your area might make my answers incorrect in your area.

No, the vent has to be at no more than a 45 degree angle from the vertical until it is at least 6" above the rim of whatever fixtures it is venting.

I am not sure what you mean with '' vent has to be at no more than a 45 degree angle from the vertical until it is at least 6" above the rim of whatever fixtures it is venting"

Here is another drawing that I made. Are you talking about the highlighted green part?

I also attached another picture on how I am going to vent the different lines. I have red arrow pointing to how i am going to vent it.

Thanks for the help

image (1).jpg

base_34_1.jpg

I am trying to help a friend out that is a single mother and just lost her job. She was trying to get someone from craigslist to do the work and I just happened to stop by to see how she was doing. They guy did not really know what he was doing or talking about. She doesn't have that much money to hire a contractor. I told her I will help her out for free and I am even going to buy all the supplies she needs to get this done. If I had more money I would hire someone for her but I dont.

She is going to rent her basement out until she gets back on her feet and doesn't want to have a stranger go upstairs. She doesn't feel safe having someone in her space with her little kid.

So any help is appreciated. Thanks

I am not familiar with Virginia plumbing code, but that does not meet Florida code requirements. It is not just the wye where the vent is taken off of the drainage pipe that has to be vertical (45 degrees or less from vertical), but the entire vent pipe until it is 6" above the fixture.

So, the vent has to come off of the pipe as it passes under a wall so that the vent can go straight up. Or, you have to use a wet vent system, in which a fixture drain that is vented is also a vent for the rest of the fixtures. This is only to be used to vent the fixtures within bathroom groups.

2006 IPC

905.2 Although vent piping may be installed in a horizontal position, vent connections may be hori*zontal. The `invert' (interior bottom surface of a pipe) of a vent must be above the centerline of the drainage piping to which it is connected. The centerline of a drainage pipe is considered to be the mid-point (1/2 the diameter) of the pipe; an eleva*tion within a drain line that would normally not be exceeded except during surge conditions. The objective is to prevent the flow through the drainage system from detouring into the vent piping. This is best achieved by ensuring that the elevation of each horizontal vent's invert is sufficiently above the drain line (trap arm) served so that the vent will remain 'dry' unless a drain line stoppage creates a generally flooded condition in the underfloor DWV system. Vent inverts, which are below the drain line trap arm centerline, are known in the plumbing industry as `flat' vents. Under no circumstances are such installations permissible. Except as otherwise provided by Code, the greater the differential between drain line and vent pipe inverts, the better. It is important to remember that water flows in the direction of least resistance. Elevation differentials create a natural resistance to flow in that water will never flow against gravity unless it is being pushed by a force greater than gravity. Every inch of rise between drain line and vent pipe inverts increases the amount of gravitational resistance to be over*come, thereby reducing the probability of vent pipe flooding.

Sent from my iPad using Plumbing Forum

Thanks guys. I am going to try to to put the line as close to a wall so that the vents can come out straight up like in this first picture I have attached. FH12JAU_PLUBAT_03.JPG

If I can't run it under a wall to vent straight up then I am planning to lay the pipe down like in the second attachment. There are some stairs in the basement that I think wont let me get too close to the wall without making some sharp turns. Plumbing Diagram for Basement.jpg

I will be going over later today after work to take a better look at her basement to come up with a better plan and then going to go and pull permits for the bathroom later this week.

Thanks for all the help

Back