need to replace shutoff valve on hot water line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhering86

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the board with a question. Over the weekend I needed to replace the cartridge in my shower valve so I shut off the supply lines going to the shower. Well they must not have been shut off in awhile because yesterday I noticed a slow leak in the hot water valve located in the basement. I tried to tighten the nut by the stem but it still leaks so I'm guessing I'm going to have to replace it. The problem is this line goes directly to the hot water heater and there's no other shutoff valve on the line so how can I shut the water off to that line to replace the valve?

I was in a similar situation last year. That was when I discovered that my home was built without a master shut off valve. I just shut mine off at the meter...which was when I found out that the water company frowns on homeowners doing that. Had to get my plumber to install a shut off for me...cost a few bucks (he gave me a 'frequent caller discount...) but it's been worth it.

You might try shutting off the valve, removing the handle and then the packing nut. Add 3 or 4 wraps of graphite packing around the stem then reinstall the nut and handle and turn on the valve. That works for me in similar circumstances.
FWIW
YMMV

Back