Need information

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fade85

Reaction score
So my sewer is backing up in the basement. This happened before and we had a plumber roto it out.

I called them back it’s been about 2 years. And they ran it 3 times and there was nothing in the drain. It was remarkably good. It went through smoothly he ran the last go 120 feet ( it’s only 64 ft to the main sewer line.)

The city came out and checked the main sewer. They had a little difficulty right in front of our house “ jetting” the main sewer line. They didn’t elaborate but they said it was clear.

So if the roto rooter can make it 120 ft smoothly with no hang ups. ( that would be into to the main sewer line ....)

What could be the cause of this? Even the plumber was confused. That’s why he did it 3 times to make sure. He did the main access and the floor drain just to make sure it wasn’t where the drains joined and went to the lateral sewer line.

It actually drained slowly before but now it’s not draining at all. They are going to camera it tomorrow but now the drain is full of water, we thought it would slowly drain overnight like it usually did. But it’s completely stopped now.

I’m having so much anxiety over this. Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar situation? Why would a roto rooter go that far out and the drain still be clogged...? He was confident it wasn’t hitting anything or snagging or anything to indicate a issue with drain.

Last edited:
can't see it from here. Post a picture of where he snaked it from.
This is the sewer from the entire house?
and you can't use anything?
The point of entry for the snake was holding water and backing up?

It’s the main sewer line . He ran the auger down it. The only line that leaves the house. It’s just a straight shot one pipe.

The water/sewage is coming up from the floor drain which is about a foot from the outer basement wall. He ran the auger through this main sewer all the way to the street. Everything in the house is backing up. Nothing can drain so it’s definitely the main sewer line. The water/ sewage can’t get out the main sewer line. I draw a rough picture if that helps

Last edited:
Don’t laugh a my artwork. Lol

The blue are the pipes. The red the route he ran the auger. He also ran it through the floor drain also. Both went out well past the distance to the city sewer.

Don’t laugh a my artwork. Lol

The blue are the pipes. The red the route he ran the auger. He also ran it through the floor drain also. Both went out well past the distance to the city sewer.

Not a plumber, but is it possible that the problem is that your vent is sealed? I can't imagine how it would get 100% sealed, but, if it did, it would not drain. Similar to holding your finger on the top of a water filled straw.

Seams like you’re line might be rotted out or heavily congested, did he use full size blades on his snake? Also jetting from the clean out might be the only solution

So we were finally able to clear the line!! We weren’t able to get the jet bag down there. We did the rooter blade a forth time . Then tried the jet bag again as a last ditch effort and it went through and now we can scope the drain with a camera now ��������������������

Good job, you want to have a 2 way clean out installed outside of house for future

Back