Need help with toilet decision

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejayye

Reaction score
Hello all
I just signed up and this is my first post. After 30 years in our home we are updating our main bathroom. We are doing the work through Lowes and as such need to buy through them or they won't install/warranty the job (actually said they won't install someone elses fixture period). I really wanted a Toto Drake but I would have to put it in myself and again I wanted the whole job done by them and guaranteed. Soooo-not getting a Drake - my next choices (at Lowes) have been between A/S Champion 4, A/S Cadet 3, or Kohler Kelston. I've not seen a lot of reviews on the Kelston but those I did see were a lot better than the Cimarron. So that being said , out of those three what would you recommend and why?
Thanks again

I personally have a Toto Drake, but Lowes doesn't sell them. I love the Drake. It flushes wonderfully and doesn't splash. I've heard the Drake 2 flushes well and has a bowl wash. I have the coordination of a spastic monkey, but I installed the Drake myself. There was a very detailed set of instructions on installing it on the terrylove forum. I printed it out and used it as a guide. It was actually very easy. The hardest part was lifting the toilet because of the weight-- so I had help. You can put straws on the bolts to help guide the toilet down into the right spot. I installed the tank and seat without help. It can save you some $ to install it yourself and it is easier than you might think. But I can understand if you still want the work done by someone else.

I despite American Standard toilets. They use them in a lot of public restrooms around here and they absolutely suck. They usually don't flush well and the ones that have better flushing will splash up out of the bowl and on to the seat (so you never ever want to be bending over to hit the lever or else you get toilet water in your face-- this is why I flush them with my foot).

I've heard good things about Kohler though.

I personally have a Toto Drake, but Lowes doesn't sell them. I love the Drake. It flushes wonderfully and doesn't splash. I've heard the Drake 2 flushes well and has a bowl wash. I have the coordination of a spastic monkey, but I installed the Drake myself. There was a very detailed set of instructions on installing it on the terrylove forum. I printed it out and used it as a guide. It was actually very easy. The hardest part was lifting the toilet because of the weight-- so I had help. You can put straws on the bolts to help guide the toilet down into the right spot. I installed the tank and seat without help. It can save you some $ to install it yourself and it is easier than you might think. But I can understand if you still want the work done by someone else.

I despite American Standard toilets. They use them in a lot of public restrooms around here and they absolutely suck. They usually don't flush well and the ones that have better flushing will splash up out of the bowl and on to the seat (so you never ever want to be bending over to hit the lever or else you get toilet water in your face-- this is why I flush them with my foot).

I've heard good things about Kohler though.

I kick the handle also.

then when i wash my hands, i used the paper towel to open the door with
then if their is a waste basket outside the door, i throw the towel in it.
if not...oh well, clean up on isle 9

I kick the handle also.

then when i wash my hands, i used the paper towel to open the door with
then if their is a waste basket outside the door, i throw the towel in it.
if not...oh well, clean up on isle 9

I do that too! I hate when they don't have a trash can near the door-- or when they don't have any paper towels.

I actually like the setup they have at Samsclub where they don't have doors. They have the walls in such a way that there is decent privacy-- and they have one of those dyson airblade hand dryers. It's so amusing to see the skin on my hands blowing all over. LOL.

To get this back on the topic of toilets, if you want to know how powerful of a flush a toilet has, you can check the MAP rating.
http://www.map-testing.com/map-search.html

I believe the standard elongated Drake has an MAP flush score of >=1000. Drake II is >=800. The original Drake has a 3" drain in the tank while I think the Drake II has a 2.5" drain. Anything between 1,000 and 600 is excellent. Anything 250 and under is not recommended. I've heard people say that its best to get something with 500 or higher.

Edit: The Kohler Kelston has a MAP of >=1000.

Now, flushing well does not mean it flushes without splashing or that it has a good bowl wash. So you might want to check customer reviews for those kinds of details.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back