Need help with old toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobS609

Reaction score
I have an old toilet with a tank leaking. The toilet is an old Standard Compact model. Finding a replacement tank will be hard and a plumber wants $1200 to replace the toilet and maybe $700.00 to replace the flange if needed. That seems a bit high. Does anyone know what toilet I can replace it with that will fit in the spot the old one was in and everything line up right? Thanks

Take pics and give model numbers if you have them.

The prices are high.......

It just says standard compact on it don't see a number on it the lid has numbers 83 , 2 2078, s55

Attachments

• tank 5.jpg
    tank 5.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Measure from the finished wall ( not the baseboard or trim ) to the bolts that hold the toilet to the floor. Post that measurement for me

Yes it would probably be better to replace it. How far are the bolts that hold it down to the back wall. That is
if you can find a tank and gasket to fit then replace the tank.

The pair closest to the rear wall.

Looks to me that it’s around 13”. A regular 12” toilet will fit. Never mind that it says compact........just buy any 12” toilet

and the Bolts will fit in the spot the old bolts are in now?

The rear bolts slip into the toilet flange. If the flange is intact and strong then it’s no problem.

The front set of bolts will not be present on the new toilet. Those bolts in the front screwed directly into the floor, no flange.

I'm not a professional plumber so I'm curious why 700 dollars sounds high for installing a new toilet. Let me share why installing toilets at my housee definitely would have cost 700 (with a 3 to 400 dollar toilet). If a plumber gives a quote on the phone, they have no idea if after they remove the toilet they discover that maybe an old lead and oakem flange has deteriorated around the edges for installing the toilet but they will have to drill out carefully all the way around the lead and remove the old lead and oakem flange from cast iron that could take an additional hour. Then, they would have to purchase a very hard to find and expensive PVC to cast iron adapter flange that costs about 40 dollars and can't be found in lowes or home depot. They must be special ordered from plumbing supply houses. Lastly, those PVC to cast iron adapter flanges have to be screwed into something and if you remove the lead and oakem flange, there's never any concrete/terrazo where the screws for the flange have to go straight down. In both of my cases, I had to either pour new concrete to join with the old terrazo or I had to buy a 40 dollar tube of construction grade anchoring epoxy in the concrete section. With the tapcons you need, especially if you go with stainless steel tapcons, you are now at 120 dollars in materials just for the flange installation, and another 2 or more hours to remove and replace the flange.

So this is probably why you got a quote for 700 to replace a toilet. At least if I had paid someone to do the last two I did for my house. The last toilet flange replacement I did was so hard (at least to me), I honestly think a new toilet installation would have cost me close to 1,000. Maybe I do everything the hard way and I'm too slow and overthink/do things. A real professional like Twowaxhack would probably do a faster and better job. My accomplishments take FOREVER. LOL

I'm not a professional plumber so I'm curious why 700 dollars sounds high for installing a new toilet. Let me share why installing toilets at my housee definitely would have cost 700 (with a 3 to 400 dollar toilet). If a plumber gives a quote on the phone, they have no idea if after they remove the toilet they discover that maybe an old lead and oakem flange has deteriorated around the edges for installing the toilet but they will have to drill out carefully all the way around the lead and remove the old lead and oakem flange from cast iron that could take an additional hour. Then, they would have to purchase a very hard to find and expensive PVC to cast iron adapter flange that costs about 40 dollars and can't be found in lowes or home depot. They must be special ordered from plumbing supply houses. Lastly, those PVC to cast iron adapter flanges have to be screwed into something and if you remove the lead and oakem flange, there's never any concrete/terrazo where the screws for the flange have to go straight down. In both of my cases, I had to either pour new concrete to join with the old terrazo or I had to buy a 40 dollar tube of construction grade anchoring epoxy in the concrete section. With the tapcons you need, especially if you go with stainless steel tapcons, you are now at 120 dollars in materials just for the flange installation, and another 2 or more hours to remove and replace the flange.

So this is probably why you got a quote for 700 to replace a toilet. At least if I had paid someone to do the last two I did for my house.

It takes me about 30 minutes to remove most cast iron flanges and install another. I keep a couple cast iron flanges on my van.

Find a better plumber👊

It takes me about 30 minutes to remove most cast iron flanges and install another. I keep a couple cast iron flanges on my van.

Find a better plumber👊
LOL. Agreed. Unfortunately being a teacher I can't afford a plumber. At least here in Florida. They KILL it here. Luckily I can do most of my own plumbing but it's slower and I do make mistakes that cost time and money (have to redo sometimes like when I rough in a shower valve and it's too deep).

It's crazy, crazy times here with new construction or the tear down of older homes (like mine) and then new homes being built. Plumbers, electricians, tile installers all get to pick and choose what jobs they want and raise their prices because they are so busy. I would go broke if I paid a plumber around here. I guess I'm just lucky to be a teacher that lives a block from the ocean. My wife and I are probably the last teachers to ever live in my area that own a house.

LOL. Agreed. Unfortunately being a teacher I can't afford a plumber. At least here in Florida. They KILL it here. Luckily I can do most of my own plumbing but it's slower and I do make mistakes that cost time and money (have to redo sometimes like when I rough in a shower valve and it's too deep).

It's crazy, crazy times here with new construction or the tear down of older homes (like mine) and then new homes being built. Plumbers, electricians, tile installers all get to pick and choose what jobs they want and raise their prices because they are so busy. I would go broke if I paid a plumber around here. I guess I'm just lucky to be a teacher that lives a block from the ocean. My wife and I are probably the last teachers to ever live in my area that own a house.

Find an independent owned business where the owner does the work. Make sure they specialize in repair.

You need to find an expert.

Back