Need help to fix leak in copper pipe/plastic connection on sprinklers

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_vr6

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction to fix a leak in the main water pipe that goes to my sprinkler system. Outside the house where the main water comes in there is a split where the water goes into the house and another pipe takes it to the sprinkler system, this is the section with a leak, that can be seen in the photo with arrows.

I've attempted repairs with FlexTape and WaterWeld putty which lasted several months but the leak eventually returns. I've indicated where the leak is coming from by the arrows and it's where the copper pipe meets with a plastic coupler.

What is the best way to repair the leak? If it's to replace the coupling can you point me in the right direction as to the type of coupling and how to remove it? I have tried to remove it with a plumbers wrench but it doesn't want to shift and I didn't want to force it without knowing the type of connector ;-)

Many thanks in advance!

pipe2.jpg

That looks like a cpvc FIP. Female Iron Pipe Adapter. You could cut the cpvc and unscrew the adapter and screw on a new one with a coupling to reconnect the cpvc.

What ct-18 said, use a hacksaw to cut 2”under the 90 and by the male adaptor , unthreat the male adaptor and redo it all with pvc

Thank You! I made the repair at the weekend and it worked great. I realized afterwards that I had spent $10 for the Waterweld putty temporary repair and $13 for the FlexTape temporary repair but the proper repair only cost $8 ;-)

Back