Need help removing rusted bolt on outdoor frost free faucet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys, I had posted a while back about a dripping frost free faucet at my parents' place but I never was able to really fix it. I wanted to remove the frost free faucet to replace the washer in it, because I'm assuming a bad rubber washer is why it is dripping, but I can't get the bolt off the outside white handle. It is rusted as you can see from the photo. I tried using PB blaster, tapping a hammer on the bolt, and it didn't loosen it enough for me to remove it with a screw driver or socket wrench. The handle turns with the screw, so I have to hold the handle in place with my hand while I try to unscrew the bolt, which makes it even harder to get good torque on the bolt. Basically, I have to hold/turn the faucet clockwise while I try to turn the bolt counter clockwise.

Anyways, I'm assuming I have to remove that bolt if I want to fix the dripping faucet. Can someone give me some advice on what I should try next to remove the bolt? Or if there is a way to skip removing the bolt altogether, that would be fine as well, I just need to fix this dripping faucet. Thanks a bunch for the help:)

IMG_20120403_145021.jpg

It sounds like you have tried just about everything. If you can't get the handle off you may be looking at replacing the frost proof faucet. At this point if you can't hold back on the handle while trying to remove the screw, you might just as well turn the handle to the full on position and have at it with a socket wrench. Be sure to hold back on the faucet itself with a pair of pliers so you don't twist the pipe. Of course you have to turn the water off before trying this. As long as the faucet doesn't turn the worst thing that can happen is you break the stem. If that happens then your back to square one, replace the faucet.

John

I agree with everything above - Here is another option, carefully drilling the head of the screw off - Then you can remove the handle to have access to the threads.

I agree with everything above - Here is another option, carefully drilling the head of the screw off - Then you can remove the handle to have access to the threads.

Good point. At least when he gets the handle removed it will allow him to be able to change the washer. And if he can remove the remainder of the screw he's back in business. Some times I overlook the obvious.

John

Hey, thanks guys for the advice. I will try both options before replacing the frost free faucet (drilling the bolt away and/or letting the faucet be turned on and then having at the bolt). I just have one quick question though, john, you had mentioned that if I couldn't get the bolt off that I could just replace the frost free faucet all together. I'm assuming that if I did this I would have to cut the faucet off from the copper piping, right?

Hey, thanks guys for the advice. I will try both options before replacing the frost free faucet (drilling the bolt away and/or letting the faucet be turned on and then having at the bolt). I just have one quick question though, john, you had mentioned that if I couldn't get the bolt off that I could just replace the frost free faucet all together. I'm assuming that if I did this I would have to cut the faucet off from the copper piping, right?

Yes you would have to cut the copper and use a coupling with a short piece of copper to reconnect the new faucet. Keep in mind that the frost proof's come in different lengths. Try to stay with the same length.

John

Okay, thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I will try to get this done soon and I'll let you know how it goes:) Take care and once again, I do appreciate all the advice, helps out a lot

Back