Need help removing bathroom sink faucet with t shaped connector underneath

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy D

Reaction score
I have a bathroom sink and I'm trying to replace the faucet. I have already replaced the drain and U bend, removed the hoses from the water supply. However, the faucet handles have these t shaped connectors underneath the locking nut. They are all one piece, so they can't go up through the countertop (marble). The faucet handles have a small allen wrench nut which I removed. When I try to take the faucet handle off, it's just spinning in place. I tried tightening the locking nut, but no joy. How do I get the faucet handles off?

View attachment 20230701_224648.mp4

Obviously you must stop the valve from spinning while you remove all the hardware from the top.

A basin wrench is the tool you need, or a helper who can hold the spinning hardware from below as you unscrew the top portion of the faucet.

I like to use vise grip pliers clamped underneath braced against the wall while I unscrew from the top.

I too use vice grips since it is easier than asking for help. Also, applying upward pressure while unscrewing the top portion often is enough friction to allow it to be unscrewed without a third hand.

Project update

Thanks for the advice! There was a small copper pin in addition to the allen bolt that was holding the top of the faucet on. Once I got that, and attached vise grips underneath as recommended, the cold water handle came up and out neat as you please. Did the same on the hot side, but my vise grips keep slipping on that under side locking nut. It's real thin...So I'm going to get my kid to hold the top in place while I work from the underside.

Thank you all for the help!

Back