Need Help on Removing Kohler Shower Handle

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rht999

Reaction score
This one is special. Been to Kohler site and watch a bunch of others handle removal pics but still couldn't figure how to remove this handle.
On the back of the handle, where the pen points to has a hex screw. I removed that but it doesn't do anything.
I also tried to turn the handle bonnet CCW but that's not it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• kohlerHandle2.jpg
    kohlerHandle2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 14
  • KohlerHandle.jpg
    KohlerHandle.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 13
I'm not sure about this model, but I just had a Kohler shower valve cartridge replacement like this. See if you can twist the trim ring where the handle goes into the trim plate. See if there's a "notch" toward the handle. If there is then it's there to allow an Allen wrench to get to a set screw to remove the handle. Turn the water to the house off because you will have to turn the handle about 180 degrees to see the set screw. Get a small flashlight to try and line up the notch and set screw.
I hope this helps. It may not if it's a different set-up and this was all for naught... cross your fingers! :rolleyes:

Or as with many Kohler: the trim ring and the shaft are one piece, and you remove the handle and shank trim as one piece by unscrewing the ring.

The parts may be corroded together. Try soaking in PB Blaster or at least white vinegar by wrapping a cloth around and under the handle.

Yep, everyone includinng Kohler tech support tells me to turn the trim ring counter clock wise but that didn't work. I took the whole unit out including the trim stuck to the mixer and still couldn't get it out even with a bench vise Giving up and going buy a new handle and new cover.

The little hex screw under the handle does nothing. It fastens the decorative trim block onto then top of the handle. There are different colours and styles. Glass, silver, ours is pure solid gold I think. ;)

The handle is splined to the cartridge. So you need to hold the handle to keep it from turning, otherwise the water turns on.

While holding the handle, use a rubber strap wrench to turn the drum under the handle Clockwise.

kohlerHandle2.jpg

It unscrews from under the handle pushing the handle up. With the handle removed, there is a small washer that needs to be removed (ours was seized on) then lift the drum off to reveal the cartridge.

Woke up and saw Ferdinand's post. Decided to give it another try and Voila, it worked!!
Who would have thought that turning it clockwise. Everything is righty tighty but this case is the opposite and that little hex scew threw me off.
Thank you Ferdinand and everyone who tried to help. Much appreciated!.

Voila, it worked!!
Yippee!
Who would have thought that turning it clockwise. Everything is righty tighty but this case is the opposite
It's confusing, but it does actually make sense. If you look at it upside-down, you're (lefty loosey) unscrewing that drum out of the bottom of the handle.
Looking at it the other way around from the top, if the handle were free to turn instead of splined to the cartridge, you'd be spinning the handle counter-clockwise to unscrew it while holding the drum fixed.
that little hex screw threw me off.
Me too, since unscrewing it really didn't seem to do anything useful at all. That's because there is a second little hex screw hidden inside the cup of the handle the fits down over the splines of the cartridge spindle. You'll only see that second hex screw once you get the handle off.
Thank you Ferdinand and everyone who tried to help. Much appreciated!.
I do like a happy ending!

Latest posts

Back