Need help on fixing an issue with flange height

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kholmes123

Reaction score
Hi. I am seeking suggestions or advice from people expert and/or more experienced than I. My replaced flange and PVC pipe is now too high. I am thinking my viable options are:
1) cut everything out and start again, this time ensuring the fit is perfect
2) shorten the inserted portion of the flange (that sticks down into the pipe) so that it will push down a little lower.
3) something even better and/or easier

Background: I had a leaking flange in an upstairs master bathroom that whose pipe runs out of a 2nd upstairs bathroom. That second bathroom is what goes down to the 1st floor. The pipe that feeds my master toilet had a couple of angles on it until it came out of the floor. Subfloor was very rotted and taking off old flange led to taking out the entire piping almost to the wall.

I thought I carefully measured and marked everything during a dry fit. But when I glued it all back together, the angles are slightly off and I couldn't push all of the connections all the way in. A fraction of an inch off on multiple connections and now the pipe coming up through the replaced subfloor section is too high and slightly tilted (by about quarter inch).

After I finished the PVC gluing and the replacement subfloor around the flange, I just started to re-check everything. Before fastening the cement board to subfloor, I laid down the cement board and a tile and found that now the flange lip is now about a half inch too high.

My understanding is that I will have about a 1/4" of thinset under the cement board and another 1/4" under the tile so it should be close. My fear is that I do all the work and find it still off by an 1/8" or so (above the tile).

If the portion of the flange that inserts into the PVC pipe was 1/4" shorter, I think that would allow it to sit low enough, but then I'd have a shorter section of flange that is glued into the piping. Could that be OK?

The pipe coming from the wall can be pushed down at an angle if I push hard, but I am assuming I don't want to push the pipes to sit closer to the subfloor as that would put pressure on the PVC pipes now glued in place, right?

I know it is an option but I really don't want to have to re-open the subfloor and cut out the pipes I just put in to try again, this time making allowance for not being able to push in the pipes all the way. It took me a long time to get this far and I think I'm almost done.

Any suggestions based on experience are greatly appreciated. The wife wants her bathroom back

Last edited:
Thanks. I get it. what about the thinset? Will it get me there or do I have to start over?

I apologize for the basic nature of my questions

The best way to insure it would all work was to stub up 4" pipe for the toilet above the floor 6" or so. Then when floor was done cut pipe flush with the floor and install the flange so that it sits right.

Thanks for the tip
Should I worry the angle is not perfectly straight up eighth or quarter of an inch off tilt)?

Latest posts

Back