need help ID'ing shower valve/cartridge

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap I think I found it. It is a Delta: DELTA-RP70538

There was a black and white drawing of it on page one hundred and freaking thirty of a search on amazon. how could this thing be so obscure?

I know now what was looking familiar about it. It looks a lot like an Olympia, but when I looked up Olympia, there appears to be a few differences. http://www.olympiafaucets.com/pdfs/parts/P-2400B_P.pdf

I guess it might be a Delta, but it isn't like any Delta I have seen before.

Edit to add: Searching that number you provided does pull up a Delta replacement cartridge that appears to be the same as what you have.

Last edited:
Wow live and learn. I thought I had seen or worked on every faucet Delta made. Guess I was wrong. When I first saw it the valve body had some similarities of Delta but I had never seen that cartridge before. Was it purchased in the USA?

Don't feel badly John. The new big box store Deltas have that type of cartridge. I believe a post from a few months ago had the same ID problem and I stumbled across that cartridge by luck on another site. Otherwise wouldn't have known about it. They don't have them in our supply houses, you have to contact Delta for a replacement, though I'm not positive that Delta even makes them. It may be outsourced for manufacturing like the Pegasus and AquaSource valves.

Don't feel badly John. The new big box store Deltas have that type of cartridge. I believe a post from a few months ago had the same ID problem and I stumbled across that cartridge by luck on another site. Otherwise wouldn't have known about it. They don't have them in our supply houses, you have to contact Delta for a replacement, though I'm not positive that Delta even makes them. It may be outsourced for manufacturing like the Pegasus and AquaSource valves.

I sure hate to see Delta doing things like that. They have been one of the best company's for availability of parts for years. Home Deopt did sell some Delta knock offs but not with Delta's name on them. Hopefully that's what this one is, a Delta knock off.

Final update - it's actually a Peerless, which I guess is a Delta subsidiary?

Part should be arriving tomorrow!! Woohooo!

Glad to hear you found the cartridge. I would bet that the cartridges are interchangeable in both Delta and Peerless valve bodies since the Peerless is listed as PEERLESS-RP70538.
It's amazing how much things have changed over just the past few years with manufacturers. I feel sorry for service plumbers who have to figure these things out on-the-fly out in the field. American Standard has gone the same route and local distributors cannot provide parts or service for faucets bought at home improvement stores. I guess the "lead free" laws are having more of an impact on design changes than previously anticipated. Let's see if Kohler and Moen are next to follow.

Last edited:
Moen has already went there.

Cleveland Faucet Group, AKA "CFG", is a subsidiary of Moen. We have been installing these valves and faucets, spec'ed by the builder, for 4 years at least.

Back