Need help identifying valve and purpose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwills84

Reaction score
As far as I know, my boiler is original to the house, built in 1959. Its a National Boiler Corperation - 7-22, natural gas boiler. The pilot is directly off the main gas branch, not the gas valve (assume this was normal back then?). The pilot tees off to a compression fitting valve with a plunger, which continues toward the pilot nozzle (separate line but runs parallel with pilot line). The pipe (3/8”) has holes along the side. When the plunger Is pressed, the gas goes through that perforated line and ignites it from the pilot light, back towards the valve. The valve leaks a little, so I need to replace -dont know what it’s called or it’s main function is. My guess is a pilot purge line, or a pressure relief, although if a pressure relief I shouldn’t press in to allow flow through... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 89EBB525-34F9-4D50-B35C-5E008C4BD9EE.jpeg
    89EBB525-34F9-4D50-B35C-5E008C4BD9EE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • D68AE0CD-C6AC-4E92-B0D4-EFA3E95DDED0.jpeg
    D68AE0CD-C6AC-4E92-B0D4-EFA3E95DDED0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • FF9F865B-4364-4C2C-9482-AD10FF2EEBD0.jpeg
    FF9F865B-4364-4C2C-9482-AD10FF2EEBD0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • F9AFFAD2-6897-458F-B937-0EE30DDF4926.jpeg
    F9AFFAD2-6897-458F-B937-0EE30DDF4926.jpeg
    894.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm wondering if the purpose of that valve & the perforated line is to provide homeowner with an easy way to heat the thermocouple, and light the pilot.

Here's something similar, but not a 90, and 1/4 inch At amazon
41xWA7%2BvzrL._SX342_.jpg

Last edited:
Rick thank you for that reply! That could totally make sense - and I wouldn’t have thought about that in a million years. The pilot nozzle is about a foot off the ground so it could alleviate having to do that repeatedly from a laying down position. I’m going to see if I can light the pilot from there when I get home, and let ya know. I also cleaned some sludge out of the valve with some WD40, and it’s moving more as a button, not a plunger per se. Maybe it will hold now. Thanks again!

Hold?
Errrrrr... You don't want it to hold, it's supposed to be an intermittent use item.
You want to hold down the button, light the gas in the "ignition tube" (line with holes in it), and continue to hold button down for a minute or two, so that when you release it, the pilot STAYS lit.
If it holds, or I would say, sticks, there's a potential of you releasing the button, but some gas continuing to flow -- gas leakage.

BTW, WD40 is not a long term lubricant, it evaporates. Better to be using some silicone or teflon spray.
//

Yeah, when I said hold I meant hopefully the valve holds (seals) when not pressed. Been burning some wood lately but got around to testing it. Works exactly like you said! I guess it’s the poor mans version of an electric spark igniter lol.
I cleaned it with WD40. There was a fair amount of sludge probably because the tee for the pilot is before the drip leg. After the WD40 and freeing it up, I hit it with some brake cleaner to remove the residue. Leak is gone, so I’ll hold off on replacing for now. I guess some sludge was getting in the spring or the metal seat and stopping it from sealing.

Appreciate your help on this one.

Latest posts

Back