Need help identifying shutoff valve for outdoor faucets

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSleeper64

Reaction score
Hi,

We’re new homeowners and are trying to figure out which valve is the shutoff for our outdoor faucets. We have a tankless water heater and no basement (just a crawl space) at this house.

Picture attached. Thanks!!

87A7C044-2E65-45AE-98B1-03BF9D4F63B6.jpg

With just that picture, asking where the shut off for just the outside faucets would be impossible, since we don't know where they are branched from. Can you at least point which direction the faucets are? You can also experiment and turn on the faucet. Have someone stand outside next to the faucet and call you on a cell phone with you next to the valves, and begin flipping valves until the water stops running.

We had a plumber stop by and it turns out, we're not crazy... there is no shutoff for our exterior faucets. Because of the type of system we have, the water is actually being routed up (see blue tubes) into the ceiling, and then down inside of the walls to the exterior faucets... Because the tubes aren't labeled, we're going to have to cut holes in the wall (interior) near the faucet to install shutoff valves (we'll dress them up and make doors, so they look nice... and hide them with plants or something).

Is there any easy way to identify which line is which for the blue and red tubing? We were thinking of trying to run each sink/toilet etc in the house, one at a time, while someone else stood in the closet and tried to see air bubble movement. Any other ideas?

(Edit: Attached photos)

IMG_2705.jpg

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd spend a few bucks and install shut offs on all PEX leaving the manifold. Once done, you can begin labeling what they go to.

You can take the red pex out as it is the hot supply. I can't believe they did not use a valve header system. See what happens when one chooses the cheap route. Like stated above, shut off the main and cut in pex valves on each supply.

Everyone, thanks so much for your help! After having a few folks come out to the house, we've learned that the plumber (who is licensed in the state) potentially did not do this to code, but it passed inspection by the state/county anyways! Apparently, shutoff valves are required for all plumbing fixtures except showers and bathtubs, and they must be at the fixture unless a manifold system is used. They're also supposed to be labeled.

Since this system is less than 2 years old, we're conflicted about what to do. Should we just pay to have it fixed? Or should we reach out to the state office that regulates plumbers and ask for their help? Or contact the plumber directly and ask him to resolve this issue on his dime? I don't like the idea of trying to get someone in trouble, as they may lose their way to earn a living, but at the same time this individual shouldn't be installing systems that aren't to code... and the state/county should catch these things and not give a passing grade!

I'd give the original plumber a call, but kill him with kindness. Offer to pay him (obviously a discounted price) and see if he will make things correct. Unless you were the homeowner who originally paid him, he will play stupid and not know what you are talking about. Plumbers are human, and will do anything to make a buck, code or not, because the customer is always right, whether they paid to do it the right way or a shortcutted way.

Are there shutoffs under the sinks

Latest posts

Back