Need help identifying shower valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasco

Reaction score
I am currently having work done on an existing shower. The original plan was that the contractor was going to install a valve which converts the existing hot water valve into a mixing valve for cold and hot water, and converts the cold water valve into the show/tub water diversion valve.
Yesterday he informed me that the part is no longer made, and that to correctly convert the existing valves will cost an additional $1000. I am trying to find out what that particular part is called so I can try to hunt one down on the after market and complete the job as originally quoted.
Any help is greatly appreciated - please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected]
Thanks!

I dont know what this part would be, but it seems a steep price to add. Typically when showers are Reno'd A balancing valve would be installed ( single handle ) and this could be piped easilly with the tub diverter and showerhead. Though it would mean opening up the wall behing the shower/tub. I dont know exactlly the scenario the contractor is facing so I cant really comment on the price too much, I can only say that IMO that is a steep price addition, but pplumbing renovations can be expensive and each one is a unique set of problems to solve.

You would need to give more information on the specific valve that you are describing. I have never heard of such a thing as you have described that is added onto the existing tub/shower valve.
The description that you gave sounds more like a single valve that mixes the hot and cold water to the desired temperature, then a separate valve that is mounted above it that can send the water to the spout or the shower or a hand sprayer.
The first mentioned is the mixing valve and the second is the transfer valve.
Does this sound like what you are looking for? If it is, mixing valve and transfer valve kits are made by all of the major manufacturers and available at retail plumbing supply houses.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Additionally, you didn't mention if the contractor is a plumbing contractor or a general contractor. If he is a gen. contractor maybe it would be in your best interest to have a plumber stop by and take a look and give some input.
Not hatin' on the GC, just sayin'.:rolleyes:

Back