Need Help Identifying 40 Year Old Tub Valve Stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Douglas

Reaction score
I am in desperate need of assistance identifying a bathtub valve stem. I need two of them! The fixture is original to the house which we built 42 years ago. Unfortunately, I do not know the brand of the valve.

1.jpg9.jpg

Twowaxhack...how did you do that? The plumber who came out said that he had never seen a stem like mine and he recommended replacing everything for about $1,800 (including cutting sheetrock out of two walls (but not repairing the holes afterwards)) .

My old valve was removed with a crescent wrench. The link you pointed me to looks like we would install it with a deep well socket, correct? And a smaller diameter cylinder to screw onto the stem.

Bet you don't know the correct diameter of the socket, do you? Hell, I should just buy a set of 5 of them off of amazon for a few bucks.

If this works, where do I mail the caviar?

Twowaxhack...how did you do that? The plumber who came out said that he had never seen a stem like mine and he recommended replacing everything for about $1,800 (including cutting sheetrock out of two walls (but not repairing the holes afterwards)) .

My old valve was removed with a crescent wrench. The link you pointed me to looks like we would install it with a deep well socket, correct? And a smaller diameter cylinder to screw onto the stem.

Bet you don't know the correct diameter of the socket, do you? Hell, I should just buy a set of 5 of them off of amazon for a few bucks.

If this works, where do I mail the caviar?
Let me give you professional advice.

Send your pics to “ Chicago faucet Shoppe “.

Here’s a link. You can call them or email your pictures. They’ll make sure you get the right parts.
https://www.chicagofaucetshoppe.com/

Closest I could find is from barrywalter.com PN:403220

Danco has one that might fit 8S-3H/C

I've definitely never seen that stem before.

Back