Need help getting this reassembled.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edhalsim

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 30 y.o. shower fixture that needed the cartridge replaced. They wanted >$500 and I'm a DIY kinda-guy (though inexperienced) so I replaced it myself. See photos. Now I need help re-assembling everything. I put the sleeve on and the faceplate over that, but then it doesn't turn. Maybe I'm missing something? Also, I'm not certain I have it correct for hot and cold.

Thanks.

shower1.jpg
shower2.jpg

It’s pretty straight forward.

The sleeve just slides on with the protrusion of the sleeve up snd over the cartridge retention clip.

Then Install the large plate with screws.

Reinstall the handle.

If hot and cold are reversed, remove the handle and rotate the cartridge stem 180 degrees. Reinstall the handle. You do not have to remove the cartridge, keep st turn the stem that pulls in and out 180 degrees.

The OP stated that he put the sleeve and face plate back on but could not turn the valve. The cartridge has an inner and an outer section. The outer section sits in the brass housing, with ports lined up inside the valve body. It does not move. The handle pulls the center part out for volume and then left or right for more hot or cold. If the sleeve and faceplate are installed properly, the stem on the inner part should rotate freely. If it does not rotate, then either the cartridge is defective (unlikely unless it was damaged during placement) or something is binding on the handle.
There is a small notch on one side of the end of the stem of the cartridge. that should be facing up when you put the handle onto the stem.
If you do have hot and cold reversed, do NOT remove the retainer clip or turn off the water. Just rotate the stem 180 degrees.
$500+ to replace a $25 cartridge!!!

Back