Need help adjusting hot water control valve on clawfoot tub

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I have a newer clawfoot tub with a vintage look that has a telephone faucet with dual temperature control handles. The problem is the temperature does not get warm enough to take a comfortable hot bath. In our other shower I was able to figure out how to adjust the control valve in the cartridge, but cannot find a similar feature in this tub hardware. So we really haven't been able to use it for the years we've had it.

I've linked the tub and the parts sheet below. I started to dissemble it but was not able to remove the cartridge. Am I just not using enough elbow grease? Should I assume it screws out or pops out? Also, should I expect that this cartridge has a similar hot water adjustment feature that my delta shower has, or would that be somwhere else? The left handle is the hot side.

https://www.vintagetub.com/randolph...-faucet-with-fixtures-savingspackage01rc.html
https://www.vintagetub.com/download/Parts/English_Parts.pdf
I want to do something special for my wife because I know she'd really like to be able to relax in this tub. I'd really, really appreciate your help!

Thanks!
Brien

I contacted the distributor and according to the support member (who had to ask someone else) there is no temperature control / safety value on the cartridge for this faucet. They said it delivers water at whatever temperature it gets from the water heater. If that is the case is there anything that would make the water from the tub faucet not warm enough when the shower right next to it gets plenty hot?

Attachments

• IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
We have tubs just like this in one of our older dorms, some have been renovated, with new tub valves and a code approved mixing valve I will try to get the info/picture not sure how to do that but will figure something out

There is definitely no adjustment on those valves, and, they just unscrew from the valve body.
Many jurisdictions require a pressure balancing assembly for these, which would be elsewhere like behind an access panel or in a crawl space or basement if you had one.
The pressure bal. assembly looks like this and it can be serviced because there is a balancing spool that can hang up. 1695084217777.png

Thank you for the replies. Here are the best pictures I can get of the fittings behind the tub. Looks pretty dirty back there; I better clean for her while I'm at it.

We had this installed about 10 years ago when we renovated the entire house. We do have a crawl space, but below this part of the house it is barely accessible. I'll see if I can get under there. We had spay foam installation installed around the same time so I'm also worried they may have sprayed over the pressure assembly you mentioned, if it's under there.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 0
It is vital to have supply stops to allow for service and emergencies. Whoever did that work was a fool/idiot.

It is vital to have supply stops to allow for service and emergencies. Whoever did that work was a fool/idiot.
Yes, a little of both I think. We've had a lot of problems with what the plumber did throughout the house.

For some reason, the shutoff valves for the tub are shared by the sink across the room. However, I cannot close the cold water valve because the yellow handle is too long and it hits the pipe above before the valve is closed all the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
Open the hot and cold ball valves and take the blue cap off to adjust temp.

Last edited:
You can take the handle off and use an adjustable wrench, your original picture shows male adapters at the floor were your flex supports are can you thread IPS ball valves on them then you could mount the valve on that wood and with those flex connectors tie it back in ,flex connectors aren't the way to do it normally but that's what you have to work with

You could remove that cold ballvalve handle and cut it down some so it’ll turn completely on then reinstall.

The thermostatic valve under the lavatory is pretty common. It limits the hot water temp to the tub with its temp setting. It meets most all current codes.

The only thing I don’t like about your install other than the handle issue is the undersized flex lines on the tub. If they were gonna use flex lines they should’ve at least been 1/2” x 1/2”. They used 1/2” x 3/8”.

Back