Need Guidance - Main water valve and pressure regular how to

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcride

Reaction score
Hi, I need to replace my 1/4 turn valve and pressure regulator because you can see from the pic its about to blow! The pressure at the outside faucet is 130 PSI which tells me the pressure regular is not working.

A few questions I have

I bought a double union pressure regulator, then 2 threaded 3/4 copper to slip joint for each end of the pressure regulator. What type of 1/4 turn ball valve should I get? I see there is double threaded, thread to slip joint.. I have read you need to be cautious sweating copper around the ball joint.

Should I use threaded? My concerns is too many threaded joints. I need a picture of a proper job.

http://sdrv.ms/1bfRccP

You have a big job there-- first the only way to shut off ur water is in the street and you need to contact ur local water company- secondly it looks like u have black pipe and galvanized pipes- u need a professional to determine how corroded these pipes are and the extent of the repipe-- if you start this job it can turn into a chain reaction and a huge can of worms if u don't know what to expect!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Plumbing Forum

Job completed! It wasn't that bad and I cut out all the old pipe and put in a new pressure reg And valve. Pressure is down to 58 psi now vs 130!!

My home is not so "pressured" now

Back