Need Assistance - Dangerous Fumes - Co2 & Gas Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azflower1

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help. I am in a rental and about a week ago, I noticed that the a/c in the hall closet (where the a/c & hot water tank are located) was leaking condensation and the hot water tank was tilted. I called a local company HVAC/Plumbing and they said that the entire unit was tilted and condensation was leaking from evaporator coil and that the Plenum was not installed correctly (basically, both the A/C & hot water heater were sitting on some type of sawdust board with almost no metal under it). The hot water heater was ready to fall through the board (it was dipping down about 5 inches)! As I was getting ready to call this into the rental office, I smelled a gas leak and called the gas company who came out and said that Plenum was not supporting the a/c nor hot water heater, the furnace had a leak and that there was no positive seal and that the hot water heater was dangerous as the flue was not hooked together and I believe that carries CO2 outside!!

I moved my family to a hotel (for 7 days) and just moved back today, I looked at the hot water heater when I got home and and it is leaking water underneath! I also noticed the flu tube thing looks corrosive and there is no silver tape around it! (see attached picture).

Should I call the gas company again and have them inspect this? I have already left a message with the plumbing company - I can't believe they did not notice this!

Question - If I am not running the heat or using the hot water tank, is there any CO2 coming out until it is fixed? I am very concerned... thoughts, Ideas?

Question - I just got closer to the flue and noticed a gap from the top of the hot water heater to the flue pipe - does this look normal? - Picture number 2

PS - this would never be allowed where I am from - Virginia as they have very strict codes.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 20220906_230438.jpg
    20220906_230438.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220907_012626856.jpg
    IMG_20220907_012626856.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
It’s not proper, have the gas company come look at it.

Ask for a supervisor.

Hi, can you tell me specifically what is not proper in the photo so I can be informed? Thank you so much!

The draft diverter on the water heater is not properly positioned.

If they left that then what else did they screw up ? That’s the question

Hi, can you tell me specifically what is not proper in the photo so I can be informed? Thank you so much!
There are no screws attaching the flue to the vent drat hood. The vent draft hood is not properly affixed to the water heater, but the space you mentioned is required to draw the combustion products out of the water heater. The flue adjustable elbow sections also appear to have holes in them from mechanical damage as well as rust holes.

You would need to turn your water heater off to keep it from keeping the water at the water heater set point if you don't want it to run.

The gas company should turn off the gas to this appliance, and perhaps to the entire apartment/house. This is not a good situation.

FYI--it's not CO2, which is carbon dioxide--the climate gas. Not poisonous but can suffocate you in a closed space.

It's Carbon Monoxide: CO, which is a deadly poison even at low concentration. A headache and nausea are symptoms. That's what improper venting can release. The other comment above really meant a CO detector. Which is required in CA in any rental property. Or private home for that matter. I don't know AZ codes. Any hardware store should have CO detectors.

I'm not a plumber but do know about chemistry and dangerous gases.

Like @havasu stated earlier, if you’re renting this a landlord problem to fix. They should have been informed from the beginning and at this point should cover any expenses you have incurred, including providing lodging while this is resolved/repaired.

Back