Need advice to clean dryer vent.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrose002

Reaction score
I have a dryer leaving clothes damp, and would be thrilled if someone could explain the way to clean the attic vented duct. The following picture is the duct that I think is the dryer, but the rectangle box is strange to me, after the rise it goes up and through the roof. The rectangle end is sealed with a white mastic like substance. Any help is appreciated.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5KH65y6vh7IonTyu1

Last edited:
If a dryer vent is venting into your attic space, then it is all wrong and expect moisture/mold issues soon. Please take a picture to see if we can help you better.

You might want to check again as that pipe looks way to big to be a dryer vent. Usually we come off the
back of the dryer which is 4" and then take it out the side of the house. They make a termination kit that
goes through the wall.

You might want to check again as that pipe looks way to big to be a dryer vent. Usually we come off the
back of the dryer which is 4" and then take it out the side of the house. They make a termination kit that
goes through the wall.
I checked the vent behind the dryer and it is a large ridgid box , I put my hand in it.

If the vent is ran this way then you could call a duct cleaning company and have it cleaned
professionally and then not have to worry about any fires. Not trying to scare you but
clogged up lint can do that if bad enough.

I have seen this on a multi unit set up where they tie multiple dryer vents in also when the dryer is not close to a exterior wall. You will have to have someone come out and clean it.

Back