Need advice on rough in plumbing

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboj

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster. We are having a cottage built and I had a bit of a problem with how they roughed in the plumbing for the kitchen sink. A picture is attached. I told the builder to fix it, he said it is fine as is. What do you think? Thanks, Rob.

IMG_1537.PNG

Last edited:
Where's the vent? Where's the support for the water lines? Why in the hell aren't they the same height?

The job isn't complete. Withhold money until it's done proper. I wouldn't pay money for that work.

Reactions: SHR
Thanks, my main concern was the hot and cold water lines crossing each other. They are actually taped together.

That's the least of your worries. Standard kitchen sink rough in is around 16". That's like 3" and no vent through the roof.

Thanks for the feedback. I do believe it is wet vented. There is a line going to the roof about 8 feet over, by the bathroom sink. It is a tiny house/park model rv build. 400 square feet.

The way that is plumbed does not allow for a wet vent unless he plans on putting the ptrap under the floor. Otherwise, its an S trap and a no go

Thanks alot for the input, greatly appreciated. I forwarded your comments to the builder. I hate to say it, but when you see that quality of workmanship, you lose confidence in your builders abilities pretty quick.

Yeah that drain is way low and needs a vent of some sort. Is there any type of inspection process going on.

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster here but thought I'd chime in as it looks like a fun conversation ;)

A lot of people love to jump right onto the ol' "point out the other trades flaws" train but without getting all of the details.

I'd love to know more about your project Roboj, you say that "It is a tiny house/park model rv build. 400 square feet." I am not familiar with the building codes on these things, are they building to the local building code? or to a building code of these trailers? I am assuming they have a different code as my 5th wheel certainly doesn't follow the same code as my house.

To comment on the picture, yes the drainage looks a little low, he would probably want to lift that up a little but as far as the venting goes, its pretty common to use an AAV under the sink, which would account for it being "lower than usual" as it needs to be a min of 6" above the water seal, being an RV I would assume it has a single vent stack through the roof as you say, I am sure this ties into it somehow down the line.

I am not sure about the pipes touching, I don't really see a problem with it other than from a cosmetic standpoint. Us plumbers treat our piping as art and take pride in a well run line. I would probably not have done it this way but that's just me. The only thing that messes up my piping like this are when people change their mind after I have already done my piping :mad: lol

Roboj I would probably make sure he is locating his drain at a higher level, but other than that, it just looks like a plumbing job, not great not bad, Matt30 your comment on "Why aren't they at the same height" to me it looks as though the pipes are the same length, one is just further back due to being run behind the cold line (Optical illusion ;) ) Matt30, although I don't doubt your experience and knowledge, Please dont be so quick to smear other trades, it cheapens our industry.

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Hello everyone and thanks for the input. It is a park model RV that is governed by ANSI code. It will have a full inspection by Washington Labor and Industry. It is technically an oversize trailer.

My opinion is that the supply lines were very poorly done. There is no reason they need to cross like that. It seemed like whoever did it, didn't care, or take pride in their work. When I saw this, I started to question other parts of their work, which is why I posted here, to try and find some answers. This is where the absense of a vent line was brought up. It does make sense that an AAV will be used in this application, and I think that is the reason there isn't a vent line. When I asked the builder he couldn't answer my questions, but then he isn't a plumber. He will fix the crossed line and then it is all good.

And the line heights are different. Again I don't think the person who did this took pride in their work.

Last edited:
When I have the opportunity to improve upon something, I will do it every damn time. The home owner was only concerned about water pipe, not knowing he was looking at years worth of problem drainage down the road. An AAV on a new build?? There better be a damn good reason. If you can't get a vent up through the roof, island vent it. AAV is the lazy way out, this isn't a renovation!

I do not mean to offend anyone with my comments. But if I was talking to the plumber, I would have some questions for him

When I have the opportunity to improve upon something, I will do it every damn time. The home owner was only concerned about water pipe, not knowing he was looking at years worth of problem drainage down the road. An AAV on a new build?? There better be a damn good reason. If you can't get a vent up through the roof, island vent it. AAV is the lazy way out, this isn't a renovation!

I do not mean to offend anyone with my comments. But if I was talking to the plumber, I would have some questions for him

Hey Matt30,

At the risk of getting into the dreaded "Internet Argument" I would just like to say that getting the facts is always the better way before slamming other people and making the owner feel bad about their choice of trades or builder.

Yes, you are right, AAV is not normally the correct way of designing a plumbing system from new. However, that being said, in my trailer there are 3 AAV's as the walls are too thin to run any drainage in the walls, it all goes underneath so it has only one area in the back to run a roof vent. Roboj had mentioned that this is a park model RV, so to me it sounds like they might be facing the same issue. You cannot run 1-1/2" pipe through a 2x4" wall horizontally (Which by the picture I assume is the case) without compromising structural integrity. therefore it would need to go straight up creating unsightly bulkheads at the top plates. So unless you want 3-4 roof vents (depending on the number of fixtures) then an AAV is the only way it can be done.

Now I realize this is all speculation because, again I dont know all of the facts so please take my theory with a grain of salt.

But your statement of having the "Opportunity to improve upon something" is telling yourself that you are right and convincing the owner that you are right without even knowing the full scope or rational thought process behind it. I see guys like you come onto the job site every day of my life, slamming other painters, slamming other electricians, slamming other framers and so on without even looking at the full job, yet when they go to fix it, is done poorly in a different way.

I am not standing up for the workmanship here, like I said before, it is not the way I would have done it, but who knows why it was done this way.

To properly assess the problem, I would want to see multiple pictures, from far away and close up, and possibly even an ISO sketch of what was happening. Were there changes in the plan? or was it planned right from the start. I see a cold water T-off at the sink, what is that for? not a typical spot for a line like that, is there an icemaker or did they take the water off the cold for the dishwasher by mistake instead of from the hot?

Anyways, my point is Matt30, that I do appreciate that it sounds like you know what your talking about, but please simmer and ask the right questions first :p As mentioned before, It cheapens our industry and makes it seem like we're all shady.

Thanks, and good luck Roboj

Let us know if you have any more questions

Its all good mark! Point taken. I would like to see the finished install to see what the final plan was.

But just for the record, i dont "slam" other trades like "guys that come and your jobsite".....im not a painter, or an electrican, or a carpenter. Im a plumber. Ill critique other plumbers, which is i guess rubs people the wrong way sometimes.

Thanks everyone for the input. It is all good. The plans have been approved by Washington state which is a good thing. I do think they will use an AAV for venting, and in this application I think it is perfectly fine to do so. Thanks for all the help!!!!

Latest posts

Back