Need advice on a possible sewage leak in my apartment

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

text100

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a possible sewage leak in my apartment. I've attached a picture of the shared sewage pipe for all the apartments in my building.

When I flush the toilet in my apartment, water appears on the floor. My downstairs neighbor also has water damage on their ceiling. There is no doubt that there is a leak that needs to be fixed.

My question is: should I file a claim with my insurance company? I'm worried that they might deny my claim if I hire a private plumber to fix the leak (without also fixing the ceiling damage).

Is there any way to be sure that the leak is actually in my apartment? Is it possible that the leak is coming from the shared pipe? The building committee is not very keen to admit that the pipe is shared.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_101947.jpg
    IMG_20240408_101947.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
I would think your landlord would take care of this. Toilet probably needs a new seal. Then ceiling fixed.

Yep, you rent, the landlord owns, that's his responsibility yours is to notify him, document everything just in case have the downstairs tenant also make a call

Back