Need advice for removing Tub Spout

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyhz

Reaction score
All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with some advice on how to remove and replace my tub spout. I just bought a house, and there is about 1/4" gap between the spout and the wall. I probably could just put a lot of caulk in the gap, but that didn't seem like the right thing to do. There is a notch underneath the spout where I believe a set screw should be, but there is no screw there - so I'm assuming this is a threaded spout. I tried to unscrew it, but it won't budge. If I really twist on it I hear the pipes in the wall start to make noise (like they're shifting), so I stopped trying to remove it at that point. Is this normal, should I just stop being too cautious and just get out a pipe wrench to twist it off? Any advice would be helpful? Maybe it's plumber time? Also, I'm assuming that I can find another spout that is an appropriate length to eliminate the gap - is this reasonable?

Here are some pics:
1EZmIzy

1EZmKr8

1EZmJnd

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
You have an old style Moen tub spout. that came with or with out the slip-on adapter. That gap on bottom is normal. You probably have copper stubbed out of wall with a male adapter (MIP) soldered on to it.
Take a hacksaw and just cut off the spout just behind the outlet of the spout. you should miss the end of the MIP adapter and you can remove the plastic shell. Now just use 2 wrenches to unscrew the insert still attached to the MIP.

Inside the plastic spout where it is screws onto a nipple/copper MIP adapter is a threaded metal insert molded into the plastic. The threaded joint makes such a tight bond, sometimes the insert looses it's bond with the plastic and the whole tub spout will spin but will not unscrew. Only option is to hack it off.

look inside the hole where it comes out of wall after you get it off. do you see another mip or that copper might just be soldered into a 90.
I use a stem removal socket to remove the MIP inside the wall and replace the stub out with a Brass nipple.
I don't use slip-on spouts. seen to many loose their o-ring seal and spray back into wall.

imagesEWNK3SPN.jpg

tub spout1.jpg

mip copper.png

tools.jpg

Agreed that twisting the spout might break the copper stub out and the 90 degree elbow inside the wall.

Thanks all for the advice. I'll take another look at it this weekend. I got nervous once I heard the creaking in the wall, so I didn't want to go any further without asking the pros.

You have an old style Moen tub spout. that came with or with out the slip-on adapter. That gap on bottom is normal. You probably have copper stubbed out of wall with a male adapter (MIP) soldered on to it.
Take a hacksaw and just cut off the spout just behind the outlet of the spout. you should miss the end of the MIP adapter and you can remove the plastic shell. Now just use 2 wrenches to unscrew the insert still attached to the MIP.

Inside the plastic spout where it is screws onto a nipple/copper MIP adapter is a threaded metal insert molded into the plastic. The threaded joint makes such a tight bond, sometimes the insert looses it's bond with the plastic and the whole tub spout will spin but will not unscrew. Only option is to hack it off.

look inside the hole where it comes out of wall after you get it off. do you see another mip or that copper might just be soldered into a 90.
I use a stem removal socket to remove the MIP inside the wall and replace the stub out with a Brass nipple.
I don't use slip-on spouts. seen to many loose their o-ring seal and spray back into wall.

Mr David is steering you in the right direction

All, thanks again for the advice. I actually found a few other issues throughout the house that I don't feel comfortable tackling so I'm going to call out a plumber.

Back