Need a recommendation for a backwash type sediment filter

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwisejr

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I have a problem with sediment clogging up my filters. Our house was built two years ago. I installed a a set of big blue filters with two spin-down filters in from of them. I have 150 micron mesh first, then a 100 micron mesh followed by the Big Blue filters which are the iSpring 4"x21" three stage filters for sediment (5 Micron)+(carbon filter)+(iron/manganese filter). My Spin-down filters continually get clogged, especially the finer 100 Micron filter. Also, with that in place, the 5 Micron sediment filter will last from 2 weeks to 3 months. Lately I've replaced the filter element twice in the span of 3-4 weeks. We live in Georgia and what I am seeing appears to be our fine red Georgia clay clogging up the filters. I did ask the vendor that installed out well pump about it and they seem to think that it is iron bacteria that I'm seeing. This was about 4 months ago and I went ahead and shocked the well. That did not appear to have much effect on the sediment that is clogging up the filters.

So, my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for what type of sediment filter I would install? As far as I can tell, the best option is a automatic backwash type filter. I'm not finding to may vendors though and I'd like a recommendation if anyone has one to give.

As far as to the source of the sediment, I really suspect that the well driller did not correctly seat the well casing. As far as the bacteria thing, I know that it can come back and sometimes you just have to periodically shock the well on a regular basis but it just seems to me that if it were iron bacteria, it would be a constant ramp up in the amount of bacteria. So far, it seems like the problem increases after we get some rain. As I mentioned, with regards to the 5 micron filter, some times I can go 3 months between filter changes. And the spin-down filters, sometimes I don't have to purge the filter for a week, lately I'm having to do it multiple times per day. This alone seems to suggest that it is not some active bacteria but sediment getting into the well. I'm waiting for a neighbor who is a biology teacher to lend me a microscope so that I can take a close look at the residue.

And just to add to the information about our well driller, they spent ~6 weeks drilling a 440ft well. Apparently their old equipment kept breaking. They claim that they had to use steel casing because the plastic casing broke on some rock shelf they ran into. Then as to sealing the well, all I saw them do is to pour a few bags of bentonite around the well casing. At the time I did not know better but then when researching all this, I came to understand that for proper sealing, they should be clearing a space around the well casing, then bentonite grouting should go down around 10' or so. I really don't that that it was done.

Anyways, I know that I need to have someone come out and put a scope down the well to see if the casing is properly seated on bedrock but at this time I really want to get this filter issue resolved.

thanks.

PS. after the well drillers left, they left behind probably about 5 gallons of oil, probably hydraulic oil from their old equipment.

Attached, pictures of my current filter setup and picture of the sediment filter removed after just ~ two weeks.

Attachments

• PXL_20220813_143959858.jpg
    PXL_20220813_143959858.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220813_145038651.jpg
    PXL_20220813_145038651.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Yes, water has been tested a few times. We do have some iron and magnesium but the issue is the reoccurring sediment. I'm pretty sure that there is some issue with the well casing and dirt is washing into the well. I plan on getting someone to scope the well as soon as possible but just in case, I'd like to find a good baskwash sediment filter.

correction, manganese.. The iron/manganese filter on the big blues takes care of the small amounts present.

Looks like you've got some monitoring going on there, is it possible there's a computer running that could automatically flush the spindown filters? I've used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LUZCVWO with a powered ball valve for my irrigation system, it opens for 10 seconds after the daily run is complete, and that seems to work well. I've got a Raspberry Pi watching the irrigation system, so this was easy to add with a small solid state relay.

Note: If you can arrange that the spindown filter is ahead of the pressure tank, the spindown effect will start with backflushing the element, but that's not always possible to arrange.

so, I have a controlbyweb x600 controller looking at pressure readings before and after the spindown filters, along with after the big blue filters and I do have some electrical ball valves to put on the spindown filters to programmaticly flush them. I need to go ahead and do the final connections and program the logic. The issue is that at this rate, they will be flushing the spindown filters about every hour and if someone is taking a shower, every couple of minutes..
Ultimately, I need to have the well inspected and repaired. Im waiting for quotes but so far, the first one is saying $400 to just run a camera down the well and depending on the issue, assuming it is a issue with dirt coning in the case, it might be a $2K repaire based on this last one he did..

So I'm thinking it might be cheaper short term to do a backwash filter.

The issue is that at this rate, they will be flushing the spindown filters about every hour and if someone is taking a shower, every couple of minutes..
Ultimately, I need to have the well inspected and repaired.
Yeah, if you've got that much sediment, then no backwash filter will help, and you are better off fixing the real problem.

Latest posts

Back