Navient 240A recirc

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If recirc is running, the return is hot most of the time, so, feel it (at the WH)...it is working if hot.
If your branches off the trunk are long, then that is where your waiting time is.
Intelligent setting will learn usage and not run late at night if no use is detected.

I just checked - the return is cold at the WH. The recirc pump inside is hot, but the entire recirc line is cold. I have no branches off the recirc. It is one loop to the fixtures and back (all upstairs fixtures and kitchen sink are all at the same location, so it is a run from the WH, to the fixtures, and straight back (probably about 80 feet round trip).

When I run the hot water and it finally heats up, then the recirc line warms up.

Any other things I should be checking?

PXL_20211230_211303979.jpg

PXL_20211230_211346376.jpg

PXL_20211230_211241115.jpg

Okay, I just called Navian tech support. Turns out, for an external recirc, dip switch #2 has to be on (#1 off) and the pump valve needs to be set to to external. My thinking was that external meant using an external pump. The tech said that's a common mistake.

This is an example of the specific reasons why Navien is only for sale to and only warrants installations by licensed plumbing contractors.
Glad you got it figured out.

Navien sent me part after part for almost two weeks.......some of these parts tested in working order but they insisted on sending the new parts.

Two weeks into it Navien discloses that particular heater has defective welds to hold a stainless steel mesh in place and this allows the mesh to interfere with ignition.

That’s far from being professional.

It’s the worst customer service snd tech support I’ve ever encountered and I’ve dealt with all of them

Last question (at least for now). My wife really doesn't want hot buttons at each fixture. So it looks like my next best option is Navilink and setting a schedule? Would that be the recommendation? Does the Navilink app have a hot button?

I know the other option is to hack the hot button to use motion sensors, but not sure if that will work - I think the schedule may be better for our scenario.

But, I'm open to suggestions as long as it doesn't involve a hot button at the fixtures.

Thank you!!
-David

This guy says he’s seen this with a lot of Navien. If your unit has this part you may want to preemptively replace it.

Well, not sure what's going on. I went to the house today and the hot water side was cold. Checked the recirc line, it was cold. So it isn't recirculating despite being set to external recirc. Any other thoughts? I guess this will be a call to Navien tech support? Argh!

Man! This guy is smart. Fun to listen to. Would there been any possibility that using the hair dryer could have salvaged the display and control board? Please, before you jump on me for that question, consider that basically all I know bout plumbing is that it runs downhill. I have a Navien 240A it has internal recirculating pump. It’s 4 years old and recently had the flow sensor to fail and a plastic check valve failure. Anyway the tech replaced the flow sensor and installed brass check valve externally. There wasn’t any leaks, just no hot water. I have installed a smart valve with water sensors at dishwasher, washing machine and after this post, will put one at water heater. Will shut off water and notify me wherever I’m at. If I’m gonna be out of town (even just overnight) I always turn water off and bleed pressure. Really enjoyed you video!

Well, not sure what's going on. I went to the house today and the hot water side was cold. Checked the recirc line, it was cold. So it isn't recirculating despite being set to external recirc. Any other thoughts? I guess this will be a call to Navien tech support? Argh!

Bumping this again - any thoughts as to why the WH isn't recirculating as it is configured to do? Thank you!!

Hi, ok, I spoke with Navien tech support today. He told me to switch to internal recirc and run a pump test. I ran the test, pump worked, but can't tell if it is actually circulating water. Anyway, when I switched it to internal, the pump started up, but the heater never fired up...thought that was a bit strange.

Then I powered it down and switched back to external and got an E.438 error code, which has to do with the recirc pump. Switched it back to internal recirc, still got the error code. Turned both recirc dip switches off, error code went away. But now, whenever I turn on internal or external recirc, I get the error. I assume this is the reason it wasn't recirculating, although I wasn't getting the error code before...but I have no clue what is causing it.

Any advice with this? I am not sure how to proceed here, or if I just need to get someone out to diagnose it.

Thanks!!
-David

I didn't get the error code until after tech support was closed. I am calling them back today.

Good idea. As with anything these days, help is hard to find. When I installed my Navien, a tech came to my house and helped program it, but again, that was 12-13 years ago.

Hi all,

My plumber went through troubleshooting with Navien - it looks like there is an issue with water getting back to the recirc pump via the dedicated recirc loop...we are thinking that maybe the check valve is bad, so they are going to replace that on Monday. Aside from that, I am not sure what would cause a restriction.

One thing I am seeing in pictures online - obviously the hot and cold lines have service ports - should the recirc line have a shut-off valve and service port as well? Once I started seeing that, it got me thinking - would there ever be a time I need to open a service port on the recirc?

Thanks!!
-David

Bumping my previous post - any advice would be greatly appreciated. The plumber is coming to finish tomorrow. Thanks!!

Hi all,

My plumber went through troubleshooting with Navien - it looks like there is an issue with water getting back to the recirc pump via the dedicated recirc loop...we are thinking that maybe the check valve is bad, so they are going to replace that on Monday. Aside from that, I am not sure what would cause a restriction.

One thing I am seeing in pictures online - obviously the hot and cold lines have service ports - should the recirc line have a shut-off valve and service port as well? Once I started seeing that, it got me thinking - would there ever be a time I need to open a service port on the recirc?

Thanks!!
-David

How long did the pump run dry ? You said it wasn’t getting any water

@Twowaxhack - to clarify, when they ran the pump test, it sounded like some water was possibly getting through, but not enough to register on the GPM counter.

Do I need to be concerned about pump damage?

I suppose pump damage is possible. Run it and find out I guess, if it’ll run.

Latest posts

Back