Navien NPE-240A (NG) Tankless Minimum Flow Rate

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virajsanghvi

Reaction score
I bought a home with a Navien 240A Tankless a few years, which is used for hot water but also for a hydronic heating system. Recently, I wanted to conserve water and added water flow valve to my shower head. Once the weather became nicer and I turned off my hydronic heating, I notice my showers would suddenly get cold after 10 minutes and my water heater wouldn't turn on and I would sometimes get E012 on the unit.

At first I thought the issues were with my thermostatic mixer and the water heater for the e012, but watching the flow rate on the unit, it would not fire and heat water if the flow rate was less than 0.8 gpm. I validated this on other faucets, and once I stopped taking using low flow during showers, the E012 disappeared as well.

Anyways, why I have a workaround, the unit is sold as supporting low flow (< 0.4 gpm) and would prefer not to waste water unnecessarily. It surprises me I hadn't run into this on sink faucets in the past, so I'm slightly worried that something is wrong, but not sure what it might be at this point.

Any confirmation that this is expected behavior or suggestions on what the culprit might be would be appreciated!

Note: I did replace the flow sensor, heat rods, and mixer during this process, as well as have done multiple flushes + cleaned filters/etc, but these haven't had an impact.

Stated min flow is .5 GPM in one sheet I have and another place in the service manual it states "< .01GPM option for "A" models " Same statement on a 2017 laminated factory sheet of mine.
I see no parameter settings related to min. flow rate.
I would next call Navien to ask about that "option".

Latest posts

Back