Natural gas quick release issue

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starcraft27

Reaction score
Just got a new natural gas grill. All plumbing was done professionally previously to move in outside on the deck. I bought a 12ft 1/2" Natural gas line with quick release to support my BTU usage from the grill to the shutoff valve. The quick release works fine until it the female end is tightened down on the shutoff valve. When tightened down (even when hand tightened) it will not connect. So currently I connected the quick release and then tightened it down on the shutoff valve so the grill can be used. Problem with that is of course it can not be taken off.

Any one have any advice or a similar problem?

Thanks

maybe it is because of the flared end on the shutoff valve? (excuse my terminology) The piece that gets pushed down during the locking process could be hitting the flare and I could solve the problem by connecting a 1/2" to 1/2" normal brass connector eliminating the flare to the quick release connection.

not sure of the material you are using. but is it possible you buy a different quick release, such as (quick release X male)? then adapt accordingly.

The quick release male is attached directly to the house. The female could potentially be replaced, but I believed the two are married.

IIRC, the male should be on the flex line, with the spring loaded female quick disconnect attached to the wall. This way, if the valve is left opened, you will not have escaping gas. I have this same set up, and has worked flawlessly for years.

You are correct. I added a U to spell House. I meant to spell hose. The male end is connected to the hose and the female attached to the shutoff valve. Hopefully a standard 1/2" to 1/2" eliminating the flare connection to the female end with solve this problem

Not sure exactly what your setup is, but when I did mine a couple of years ago, I used a standard 1/2" nipple coming out of the shutoff valve then connected the female to that. No flares involved. It sounds as if the end of the male is hitting on some sort of flare fitting that doesn't belong there.

Yes, that is your problem. Change out your shut off valve as DFBonnett suggested and your problems will all go away.

Back